DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Picking - Finally the Right Hand Makes Sense.....

jazz_bum2002jazz_bum2002 Salt Lake City UTNew
edited September 2006 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 2
Hi,

So I hope comment is appropriate for this specific section of this board (if not please delete it). I just got this book last week. The first time I had a chance to read and practice was yesterday. Joyous results. I have been listening to Django for about 12 or 13 years (since I was about 11) and have been in love with him ever since. I have been playing jazz for about 6 years(guitar for 12). I have played semi-professionally for the past 4 or 5 years (mostly standards, Joe Henderson - modern stuff Metheny etc.). My picking hand is so erratic though and when I bought my first Selmer Style guitar last year I was amazed by the lack of tone and volume. Slowly I have been working on free hand picking since then (super stressed and tight). As soon as I actualy read about the rest sroke technique I was blown away, immediately things began to make sense (all those hours of staring at Bireli's right hand ugh). This book is great, I would like to thank Michael for bringing such a straightforward work into the often confusing jazz pedagogy.

On a side note for those who are getting into gypsy jazz: stay open minded if possible and always look for the music that touches you (it could be anything from Charlie Parker to The Stones). The world doesn't really need anymore virtuosos, there are plenty out there, we need artists (those people who express themselves and put their soul into music). Django's music is a beautiful example of that. Use this book (and transcribing, practicing etc.) to gain the tools you need to express yourself. If your goal is to play just like Django - great go for it, no doubt in the end you will sound like yourself anyway......thats what is great about art......growth allows each person to find their own way. And correct me if I'm wrong, thats what this book and Michael's others are so fabulously allowing people to do - grow.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi,

This book is great, I would like to thank Michael for bringing such a straightforward work into the often confusing jazz pedagogy.

Thanks for the kind words!

Use this book (and transcribing, practicing etc.) to gain the tools you need to express yourself.

Well said...

'm