DjangoBooks.com

some news

scotscot Virtuoso
edited October 2006 in Welcome Posts: 654
A couple of things - I had the opportunity to see Dennis' friend Chris Campion in Paris a couple of weeks ago. This was at the Taverne de Cluny, a jam session following a Serge Kreif performance. Serge played great, and Chris is an excellent guitarist, too, positively worth checking out if you're in Montreal.

I also spent a couple of days with Francis Moerman while I was in France, he's 70 years old now and starting to slow down a bit but he's still the generous and charming guy he always is. Francis is a genuine musical treasure. He does not play like most of the modern guys, but if you are not familiar with his playing I recommend his CD "L'infini Voyage" for the lyrical quality of both the compositions and the playing.

I've been playing some music with a Russian gypsy named Vadim Kolpachov, he's a graduate of the school of roma performing arts in Moscow. He plays the russian 7-string guitar in the style of Sergei Orekhov. That is a fingerpicked style but shares a lot of the "tzigane" repertoire we know from players like Angelo Debarre and Matelot Ferret. They don't improvise much but the variations they play on tunes like "Two Guitars" and "Czardas de Monti" - it was so incredible that the first time I heard him play these tunes I had to stop because I wanted to listen a lot more than I wanted to play. If I can get some recordings I'll post them here later. Vadim plays around the Boston area pretty often, he's definitely worth checking out.

Finally, I've seen Michael Dregni's new book, "Django Reinhardt and the Illustrated History of Gypsy Jazz". It's a beautiful book full of great photographs and much more. It should be available by the end of the month. Not to be missed!

Best Regards
Scot

Comments

• scotscot Virtuoso
    Forgot to add, lately I've been listening a lot to Archtop Ed's new CD, "Sway", it's a wonderful CD with great tunes, great playing, witty and cool in every way. Overall the sound and feel are uniquely Ed - and that's a very good thing. If you have not already done so, contact Ed to buy this recording. You need this disc!
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    hope your well Scot
    Shame you couldn't visit London while in Europe--maybe next time
    Nice to see you mention Serge Orehkov!!--i did a post about this genius 7 string guitarist ages ago--at the time some rare live recordings of him were on the net as well as scores but i can't seem to find them now.
    Serge had amazing technique with fingers and did the best cymbalom imitation i've ever heard;a russian friend told me that as a teenager he ran away from home and lived with the russian gypsies who he learned from.
    Cheers
    Stu