DjangoBooks.com

speed and the rest stroke

nutloafnutloaf WalesNew
edited November 2006 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 85
is it possible to play as fast as jimmy rosenburg using the rest stroke or is he doing something else as well, or maybee hes using free stroke and downward sweeps???
Don't stare at the stinking finger, or you will miss all the heavenly glory.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Jimmy uses the trad. rest stroke technique almost exclusively....on occasion there are a few things he does that deviate from the trad. But that's pretty rare...he's got a very traditional technique. Same with Stochelo, Paulus Schaefer, Fapy Lafetrtin, and most of the other Dutch players.
  • nutloafnutloaf WalesNew
    thanks michael. he plays very quickly.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    yeah, its not possible to outdo Jimmy without taking your vitamins
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    one thing that helps is to try using the most blunt bad sounding pick you can find when you practice...this will force you to try to get a good sound and when you switch over to an easy pick it'll be like whoa!
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Hi nutloaf,

never say die! I thought it would be impossible to play that fast using the rest-stroke technique when I first got got into it. But believe me: It is getting better and better with practicing. Your muscels have to memorize the accelerated motion,too.

Best,
    Barengero
    edited November 2006 Posts: 85
    .NM
    nutloaf wrote:
    thanks for that. I am playing the rosenberg trio's Gypsy Guitar at about 85% speed i know this because i've downloaded Transcribe a wicked piece of kit which allows you to slow down tracks without affecting the pitch. it saves a massive amount of time all you have to do is work out where on the fretboard its played, every guitarist should have it. I have been using this technique for about a month and have never been so accurate and i have been playing guitar for 18 years I LOVE THIS PICKING STYLE.