DjangoBooks.com

How thick is your neck?

2»

Comments

• StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Hi Craig,

My Bad. Those were 12th fret measurments.

Cheers,

Marc

www.hotclubpacific.com
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    Can any of you explain to me the difference between a C profile and a D profile? Does it depend on the font?! :shock:

Also, I'd like to thank everyone for your input and especially for posting specs. It's amazing the difference 1-2 millimeters can make!
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Yeah, it does depend on the font :wink:

Here's a little sketch, perhaps a little exaggerated on the D shape. Recognize there are lots of shapes between these two. My current guitar is more toward the D shape but the "sides" are not perpendicular to the back, more rounded in. The "back" is also rounded, but the overall sensation is D shape.
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    Thanks for clearing that up Craig. By that logic, it'd seem that my Gitane 250M is closer to a D. I think I like the shape, but it's sooooo thin.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    I'd call the neck on my recently departed Gitane 250 as a very shallow C section. Mine had no flat across the back and in my book, the flat is needed to be called a D section. This is just symantics of course, it is what it is and what it is is as you say, soooo thin.

Though the Gitane's thin C shape initially felt good, I found it was too thin for comfort over the long haul on an acoustic guitar. Somehow I think the lack of thickness makes the finger tips take more of the pressure. From what I gather later Gitane models have added so beef but maybe still not enough. For me, the thicker C shape is much better. The neck on my current guitar is, as I described before, sort of a rounded D shape. It's okay, but not my ideal. I'd try to keep an open mind, but somehow the D shape just doesn't excite me. Now a good Gibson neck.....

Ah, the search for the perfect neck. Too bad they aren't easily changed out like bicycle wheels, could do a wicked after-market in custom necks. :idea:

Craig