DjangoBooks.com

Illustrated Django Book Surveys Gypsy Jazz Phenomenon

2»

Comments

• Ken BloomKen Bloom Pilot Mountain, North CarolinaNew
    When I first became aware of Django it was 1966 and the information that a college kid in LA could get a hold of was limited to what was on the back of album covers and some wonderful stories told by a man who saw him play back in Paris in the 30's.
    Having the biography and this new work have been especially inspirational to me. I wish I had had any of these resources available as I sat hunched over my record player (remember those?). The new book is a real joy and I'm grateful for it.

Ken Bloom
    Ken Bloom
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Ken Bloom wrote:
    some wonderful stories told by a man who saw him play back in Paris in the 30's.

would you like to reflect them here?

Best,
    Barengero
  • Ken BloomKen Bloom Pilot Mountain, North CarolinaNew
    I used to hang out in a club called the Ash Grove where a lot of traditional music was played and that included quite a few of the old blues people.There was a man by the name of Caroll Perry who was part of this scene as well as the ex-patriate black community in Paris in the 30's. When I brought up the subject of Django he talked about many very late nights in some small after-hours places listening to Django and a clarinet player trade choruses till sun-up. More time was spent waxing eloquent about the music rather than much in the way of incidents. What Caroll was really good at was painting a picture in words of how it felt to be there. He wasn't specific about the date or the place, just how wonderful it was to listen to.
    The picture of that has stayed in my mind all these years and it's great to have the Illustrated History to give a little more character to my mental images. I got the feeling that Caroll heard him play quite often. I'm afraid I can't offer much more than this.
    Ken Bloom