DjangoBooks.com

Pick guards

Do you guys know any websites that sell the clear pickguards? I like the finish on my Gitane and I'd hate to have it all chipped up in a year or so.

~Paul V.

Comments

• lmntrylmntry Portland , Oregon✭✭✭✭
    This site sells the cling on removable pickguards...I use them all the time now,...very , very good.

http://www.luxlogs.com/

Just get the large single sheet and you have enough for 2 or 3 guitar guards.

They don't work on matte finish however...only gloss.

If you have a matte finnish and want a semi permanent guard stewart mcDonald carries sheets of self adhesive clear guard material.

David
  • mmaslanmmaslan Santa Barbara, CANew
    I think mine is the Stew-Mac variety. Put it on ASAP. If you ding the soundboard before putting on a pickguard you'll get bubbles, which are not only unsightly but bad for the sound. If you have a good local guitar store they may be able to do this for you quite cheaply; they tend to have the stuff on hand.
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    Just don't use one I say. Sure I don't have a $5000 guitar... yet... : ) but when I do I won't use one then either. Okay, so you put one on and that part of your instrument is ready for the bashing. So scratches, dings or wearing. Then out of no where some one walking by you in a jam bumps your arm and the heastock clinks the chair next to you. You pull back bonking the back side on the table corner. You turn the thing over to inspect the damage and not thinking about the low celling you rub the back of the head stock on textured surface. Thinking now that this might have de-tuned the ax, knowing that it will be your solo next, you quick put your ear to the top bout (like you always do in a loud jam) to check her out for the perfect tune. Yes... you made it in time for your solo and as your totally ripping it up you see that that sweet spot you put your tuning fork like ear to every time has a funny yellow smear on it. After your totally sweet jam session and your all shaking hands and talking about how great your guitar sounds and how good you are getting you gaze over to see your ax, your dream instrument siting it its case. The light shown on it makes it look like a museum piece. It looks like something out of a wonderful archeology find... except for that one spot that has this shiny plastic, perfectly clean, not even worn at all spot. I like my guitar to look used. you know why? Cus' I use it. I bash it. I make that spot on the back because my bely sticks out in the same place every time. The spot on the top is from my fingers that I drag on it when I'm rest stroking like a maniac. I like the way I mark up my instrument. Don't order a pick guard. Just play like crazy and don't worry about how you or your guitar look.

Cheers
  • MontereyJacquesMontereyJacques ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011 Posts: 81
  • drollingdrolling New
    I just dinged the top of my brand new Jorgenson Gitane leaning into the desk while reading this thread. Had no idea how soft polyurethaned spruce was! I'm relieved, actually. Now I can take it out!

As Josh and Jacques point out- this is what happens to guitars when you use them. Especially if you're a clumsy, ham-handed telecaster basher like me. My other battle scarred Gitanes are playing and sounding better all the time.

Seriously, tho', I was really upset the first time I dropped the fancy maple one 'till my buddies assured me that if it had been an expensive hand built instrument, it would never have survived the crash.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Josh Hegg wrote:
    Just play like crazy and don't worry about how you or your guitar look.
    If you have any doubts, just look at the state of Django's guitars and think how great they sounded. Not only Django - the condition of Joseph's instrument in the "Le Jazz Hot" video is a wonder to behold.
    Wow... this turned out to be better then I thought. I was expecting to have a bunch of "hey jack ass lay off" or "you don't know because you play inexpensive instruments" I'm really glad to see that some of you feel the same way!

To get that sticky crap off try using "goof off" or any other product used for adhesive removal. Just try it on a small spot before you go to town. And don't try to use the heavy duty stuff that you can use on concrete. That will eat through for sure. Just find the house hold gum remover stuff. Use a Q-tip or better yet one of those throw away cloths you use to clean a computer monitor. I have used this sort of thing before to get adhesive off of my guitar but I'm not sure what kind of finish the Dupont has so go slow and try a small spot first.

Cheers
  • lmntrylmntry Portland , Oregon✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmmm....this just goes to show how different we all are.
    I have always kept my personal instruments in close to pristine condition....yet I play them as much or more than most of the guitarists I know.I take them to gigs,jams,and anywhere there is a gathering of players...yet I am still carefull.
    For an example...I bought a 1968 Gibson ES 345 in 1971 (yes..I'm that old) and I still own it.The condition is as good as it was when I bought it !!!
    The top has virtually no dings to speak of.And that guitar has performed hundreds of gigs!
    I did however wear (by incessant playing) the back of the neck , there are minor laquer checking....but all in all , a near perfect 37 year old guitar.
    The used guitar market is full of beat up guitars that look older than they really are because they were just not given proper care and a little bit of preventative medacine , and though some may think they "look cool" and have some romantic past life.....when it comes time to trade it in on a new instrument you'll see that it's just another guitar in marginal condition and won't be worth near what you had hoped. Obviously you get more money for a guitar in great or very good condition , as opposed to a scratched up model.

David
    Yo David... Having seen some of your guitars I can tell the forum first hand that you do have some pretty instruments. Your point is well taken if you are the type of person that trades in instruments for new or different ones. I am not that kind of person. If I have an instrument it is because I like it. If I don't like it I don't buy it. I play it and if I have to I fix it so I can play it some more. If I thought I was going to trade it in I would play it like I drive a friends car. Carefully. So you are right that it really does depend on the type of person you are when it comes to any ones personal instruments.

Cheers
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Hi Josh and David

what´s the problem? Look at Sarane Ferrets guitar:

http://www.gypsyguitars.com/instrument- ... php?id=253

price: 14.000,00 USD!

If you play like Sarane, your guitar will look like this and achieve a rise in prices like this after a while. :wink:

Best

Barengero