DjangoBooks.com

arpeggio fingerings

edited January 2007 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 17
Hi, Michael, and thanks for the helpful book. I'm curious as to the standard fingerings for some of the various arpeggios used in the manouche style. For example, the minor arpeggio that goes as follows: A (fifth fret/sixth string), C (eighth fret/sixth string), E (seventh fret/fifth string), A (seventh fret/fourth string), C (third string/fifth fret), E (second string/fifth fret), A (first string/fifth fret), C (first string/eighth fret). I've noticed that several books explain picking strokes only, but no fingerings. Is there no 'standard' way of fingering arpeggios? What about the use of the pinky? I know gypsy guitarists typically use their pinkies only infrequently, but is there any special reason for this? Thanks in advance.

Steve in San Francisco

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Steve,

The standard fingering for that arpeggio is on page 41 of the Picking book.

The general rule with Gypsy fingerings is, if it's easier to do with 2 fingers (like the one you just mentioned), then that's the way it's done. If it doesn't matter or is even easier using conventional fingerings, then most Gypsies will use their third, and sometime fourth finger.

I hope that helps..

-Michael