DjangoBooks.com

Preamp recommendations?

Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
I'm thinking about buying a tube preamp to use with my AER 60; anyone have a recommendation?

I'm thinking of one of these:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=184125

Thanks,
Charlie

Comments

• ashash LondonNew
    I'm also interested in this topic what do you guys use in live and recording situation as preamp. Cheers
    be yourself only better
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    I've been using a Baggs Paracoustic DI with my Compact 60 and Gitane DG-250M (Schatten pickup). It doesn't do anything to warm up the signal, but after a bunch of fiddling to find the right settings, it does help me get a very natural tone.

But I'd like to know about other options as well. In a couple of days I'll (at long last!) have a Shelley Park with a Big Tone and if there's anything I can do to get the most out of the tone, I'd like to know.
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    Well, I'd hoped for some replies to this post, but I'm perhaps the lack thereof reinforces what I've gleaned in doing a little research... it seems that the inexpensive tube preamps are inconsitent in quality and noise and that the good/quiet ones are really frigging expensive.

I've seen (heard) the wonders an expensive tube pre can do to acoustic instruments, but I don't have $1500-$4000 to spend on one!