DjangoBooks.com

For the generalist: Selmer or Favino?

From what I've read on back posts in the forum, it sounds like Favino body styles are a bit larger and have a more well rounded low end compared to the Selmer's trebily but sharp highend.

My question is: as a generalist (aka beginner) that is wanting to play both rythm and lead on one guitar, is one style preferable over the other? I would generally like it to have "the sound" that is typical of the genre.

The guitars I'm looking at are sub $1K, things like the Dell Arte Homage, DA Pigalle, DG-300, etc. Are there going to be big differences in tone between the Homage and the Pigalle? Will, for instance, the Pigalle (Selmer style) be somewhat unsuitable for rythm?

Are there shops around seattle where I could compare the styles?
thanks!
Dave

Comments

• nwilkinsnwilkins New
    the Favino vs Selmer design is just a matter of personal taste - both sound good for both rhythm and lead.
    Passacaglia
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    Coming to this music from many years on a dreadnaught guitar with tremendous lows and low-mids, I was naturally drawn to the Favino-style instruments. It's a matter of opinion, but I consider Favino's adjustments to the design to be improvements. The larger body size and lighter bracing give it a warmth and depth in tone which makes it a more balanced and more versatile acoustic instrument.

I think I could play either on stage, but at home alone, when there is no sound other than your breathing and your guitar, the extra lows add some magic!
  • dburdickdburdick New
    thanks for your input guys. I'm going with the Hommage. I'll put it in someone's talented hands and let you know what they think :lol: