DjangoBooks.com

clonk gone and thump arrives

nutloafnutloaf WalesNew
edited February 2007 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 85
I've cured the clonking noise problem by keeping my fingers completely off the top of the guitar, but this has allowed two other noises to come to light. The first is a thumping noise whenever I play a downstroke, in a previous post it is suggested that this may be because I'm digging in, I don't understand, how can I prevent this. The second is to do with the left hand, because I cant damp the strings with my right hand(being that it is now floating) when I take my finger off a string to play another the open string sounds, is this because I am playing with the tips of my fingers? should I be playing with the flats of my finger like on an electric? cheers.
I will get there one day.
Don't stare at the stinking finger, or you will miss all the heavenly glory.

Comments

• sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    I hear a thumping noise whenever I practice. It comes from the wall. I think it's my neighbor.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    When playing with your right hand totally off the guitar, you should be brushing the tops of your fingers across the strings. This gives you a sense of position and also dampens sympathetic vibrations.

Left hand muting happens in fairly subtle and incidental ways. Usually various fingers are just barely touching the muted strings. There's really no system...I never thought about it. It just sort of happens...

'm
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    sockeye wrote:
    I hear a thumping noise whenever I practice. It comes from the wall. I think it's my neighbor.

Nice. I never heard the thumping noise, just a ringing sound followed by flashing red and blue lights. After that I gave up playing electric...
  • Bill McNeillBill McNeill Seattle, Washington, USANew
    I had similar problems with open strings buzzing. Changing guitars and/or setup helps.
  • nutloafnutloaf WalesNew
    thanks everybody, thanks to bill for the link great help.
    Don't stare at the stinking finger, or you will miss all the heavenly glory.