DjangoBooks.com

MichMich(Dennis)'s DVD review

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Quite the contrary actually! They just released an awesome DVD about Wawau Adler's style and there's one on Stochelo Rosenberg's coming soon!

Check it out: www.hyperhipmedia.com
  • JameErethJameEreth
    edited September 2014 Posts: 1
    Just wanted to second what a great dvd it is. Probably the best I've ever bought. I got it on ebay.

I have warts. I read on banishwarts.com here http://banishwarts.com/wartrol-review/ that Wartrol is good.
  • I haven't viewed the accompaniment dvd yet, but the improv 1 disc would have saved me a lot of time and money. very very well put together. A couple of weeks with this and I feel like I'm finally hanging with the rest of the band.
  • MitchMitch Paris, Jazz manouche's capital city!✭✭✭✭ Di Mauro, Lebreton, Castelluccia, Patenotte, Gallato
    Just passing by, I wanted to renew my congratulations and enthusiasm to Dennis for this DVD.

To me it's a must have, whatever your level is, it's always worthy to have a look at it from time to time :D

Michel
  • Such a great DVD I've nearly worn it out! Watch it everyday :lol:

Chris
    Chris et al:

Thanks for all the positive reviews re: Denis Chang DVDs.

Aside from being a great musician, Denis is an accomplished teacher.

I think he studied enough of other people's dvds and methodology and put together a great series of DVDs (if I do say so myself).

cheers

Wayne Nakamura / HyperHip Media Inc.
  • MusetteMusette New
    Hey guys, I just bought my 5 dvd set and the in the style of stochelo dvd. I can't wait to have then hn my hands.
    I was wondering if you have any tips to get the most out of them? I have never used dvds as a music learning device but i want to absorb all the information on the dvds.
  • Nice pickup.

I recently received Vol. 2 of the Improv series as a xmas gift and was going to post my thoughts on what I've seen so far.

While I've owned the first volume for about three months, I feel like there is a lot of material to study. Dennis lays out a bunch of licks that are useful to play over songs from the get go. You can mix and match licks and use them to create variations of your own. I loved the idea that I had to listen and watch in order to get the work. Tabs don't work for me and I'm a terrible reader. Additionally, the licks work well with alot of the other material available here, such as the Gypsy Picking book and opened up the neck a bit more for me. Finally, there are a lot of little technical things that Denis did that helped my playing.

Volume 2 starts where the first left off and really takes off. I've had this for about a week and am really enjoying this. While there are still useful licks to be had (even the stuff that he doesn't go over in detail), the idea of improvising in this style is laid out. I realized this about a third of the way through that this wasn't just going to be a series of licks, but that I could take an idea he discussed and work it out all over the neck, not just in the position that he showed an example in. It finally occurred to me that this is really meant to be more than just stuff to be inserted over song x or y. In order to truly incorporate it, I'm going to have to put some time in to study it. I nice example were the chapters on the Dark Eyes melody and embellishing the melody as a starting point to take some solos.

I'm sort of oversimplifying this, for sure. But this is been a pretty big help, specifically in beginning to hear what I play and opening up the neck a bit more. While I'm tempted to zip through this and move on to volume 3, I'd be doing myself a huge disservice. There is probably a year of material to study on this dvd alone.

Take that however you'd like in terms of working on the discs. But I'd go slow and make sure you get a topic (know how to apply it and when it would be useful) before you shelve it.

Nice work, Dennis and Wayne.