DjangoBooks.com

Wrist movement

nymnym New
edited March 2005 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 30
Hi!

I just received Gypsy picking book. There are couple of things which gives me some trouble. In book its is said that pickin motion should be generated from wrist alone. However, if you use angled wrist (which I think you should) picking motion comes from rotating elbow (little bit like turning key in the lock). Is there some kind of contradiction here or have I misunderstood something.
Also, I understand that rest stroke starts two strings above string being stroked but what is ideal distance from the strings (height of the pick)? And how wide motion are you supposed to use when tremolo-picking on a single string?
Finally, when moving downwards while picking, are you supposed to move your whole hand (like lifting it up)?

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    the arm rotates to allow a greater and more fluid range of motion from the wrist.

when descending, the wrist should be bouncing back up ... that will happen naturally when tension in the arm/wrist is kept to a minimum
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    nym wrote:
    Hi!

However, if you use angled wrist (which I think you should) picking motion comes from rotating elbow (little bit like turning key in the lock). Is there some kind of contradiction here or have I misunderstood something.

Rotation from the elbow should be kept to a minimum. The basic movement is like shaking out a match. Very loose and all from the wrist.
    Also, I understand that rest stroke starts two strings above string being stroked but what is ideal distance from the strings (height of the pick)?

The distance of the pick to the strings constantly changes...you should be playing into the guitar (45 degree angle). The starting point is about 1-2 inches horz. and 1-2 inches vert. from the strings.
    And how wide motion are you supposed to use when tremolo-picking on a single string?

Depends how fast.....it gets pretty small at the super fast tempos. You should do it as big as possible. That will get the volume....

Finally, when moving downwards while picking, are you supposed to move your whole hand (like lifting it up)?

Yes....the forearm sort of acts like a crane to get your hand into position for the correct string.

Good luck!

-Michael
  • nymnym New
    Hi!

Thank you very much. Great website!

nym