DjangoBooks.com

arpeggios

TimmyHawkenTimmyHawken Lansing,MINew
edited January 2009 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 118
I really love this quote by fapy lafertin "know your arpeggios and understand how they connect" I am stuggling a bit on the connection part, often I will try to plan out a solo and usually start it out base on an arpeggio but often get lost on connecting to the next chord, any suggestions?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Timmy...

Yeah...connecting them musically is the hard part. Beginners often sound like they're just playing exercises...coldly running up and down arpeggios.

If you look in the Minor Blues solo in the back, you'll see Django connects a Gm arp to a Cm6 arp in m.25-39. And in m.41-44 he connects a Cm6 arp to a Gm9.

Also check out the Gypsy Fire book...lots of arp connections in the solos:

And the Unaccompanied book is choc full of arps. There's an absolutely insane section of Stochelo's piece [i]Just Relax[/i] where he seamlessly blazes through 8th notes arps: Em9, Am6, F7b9, B7b9. Awesome! A great exercise for getting your arpeggio connections down.

And Improvisation #3 has some classic ones that all the Gypsies use: E7b9 to Am6, A7b9 to Dm6, A9 to DM6.

• ssherryssherry New ZealandNew
    Thanks for answering the question I was just about to ask. It is a great quote from a great player. It sounds simple enough, and I've been trying to figure out how to connect arpeggios, but not having much luck.
  • smilinjacksmilinjack The Wilds of Borneo & The Vineyards of BordeauxNew
    What book are you referring to?
    "If you look in the Minor Blues solo in the back"

Thanks,
    Jack
    "You Can Walk Around this Town Without Brains. . . But You Can't Walk Around Without Money!"
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    smilinjack wrote:
    What book are you referring to?
    "If you look in the Minor Blues solo in the back"

Thanks,
    Jack

Gypsy Picking: https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/it ... cking.html