DjangoBooks.com

'Swinging Over the rainbow'

edited March 2007 in History Posts: 56
I herd this the other day, it says Django played most solo's on 1string? i've seen the Tonerai clip and where he's on the train, and the couch etc and he's playing all over the fretboard.
I'm just alittle thrown now because i'm new, i've now herd he plays in different tunings ('open' to get boxed like shapes) and 1string! :?
anyway here is the clip i found, 2.29in mentions the string thing. Hope this is new to some of you and if anyone wants to clear up some myths/truths feel free to tell me :wink:

Comments

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Utter nonsense! Typical badly informed commentary. Just listen to his solos and you will immediately hear it is not true. Django used the whole fretboard and standard tuning.
  • RichRich New
    Yeah this is clearly not true. I've heard the one string thing as well.. on a so called 10 minute documentary on youtube I believe.

I think maybe this a confusion between django and charlie christian. I don't know much about him but didn't he create a sort of one string be bop solo style?

It's annoying the amount of discussion nonsense like this creates.. i believe the "documentary" actually had the clip of django playing on it as well. Makes you wonder who is doing their research.

Edit: I've just realised you have included said "documentary" in ur post..
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if people, upon hearing of the 'single-string' playing of people like Charlie Christian, just take it to literally mean ONE string, instead of a style that isn't chordally based?
    Ok well i'm guessing it wasn't true then, but its not my documentary! flipin heck! its just something i found when looking for info & thought it may be of interest to some on here.
    At least it plays the audio from the train clip, the clip i have is dubbed when Django is on the train. You can here it on this, apart from the guy speaking over it.
    Charlie Christian neither played on one string, it was all 6 just like the main man.
    I posted it only because I don't want to be spending 10hours a day on arpeg's, cromatic runs etc to find out it was done on 1 string. But for argument sake we have footage in the tonerai clip and he's playing on all 6 anyway, i should of thought of that first i guess.