DjangoBooks.com

Mixing Rhythm Strokes

edited April 2007 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 24
Hi in Dennis Chang video he shows two different strumming styles one with the upstroke and one without i was wondering if you had two rhythm players each playing one of the two styles would that be acceptable or is it a no no
Cheers Dave

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Actually....that works well and would actually be recommended in many instances. That topic discussed in Gypsy Rhythm
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    like Michael said, sure, it works...

anyway the rule for me is that if it sounds good.. why not? i don't know what else to say lol... when you have more than one rhythm guitar, everything just sort of blends in like a string section in an orchestra...

so if you have one really crappy rhythm guitar player (hopefully not too crappy) and a good one, the combined result will still sound ok
  • DiggerDigger New
    dennis wrote:
    if you have one really crappy rhythm guitar player

We've got two, haven't we, Dave? :lol::lol:
  • pale42pale42 ✭✭✭
    add a crappy soloist to it and you are complete :lol:
    Where getting into that self flagellation thing again boys
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    i would say 2 rhythm players need to play the same thing and they both need to be nice on the chord quality so that their combined effect has a nice sound. it would be wierd I think if one guy played non-muted and the other guy was playing "muted"

in general though, i think you might play with the upstroke during the melody of the tune, to bring out the qualities of the melody,but during the soloing, play straight ahead flat to stay out of the soloist way and let him jam
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    i didnt mean my advice to be taken literally... i just meant it as an idea to think about.