DjangoBooks.com

questions on using nylon strings

2»

Comments

• kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    I read Django used nylon strings somewhere, there are photo's aswel, hey it may seem proposturs but i listen over and over to records and record myself with some tunes with a nylon string then on one with argi's on and sometimes the nylon sounds more like the original record. Has anyone else herd that Django used nylons?

No, Django never recorded with guts (nylon wasn't used back then). He did a photo shooting with classical Mac Concert for Selmer's advertising campaign and these well-known pics are seen quite often, either in original "artistic" form with long shadows or cleaned up with all grey background.

Thus, he modelled (is that a word?) with classical guitar but didn't perform with one.
    ahh right ok, its just in one of my books about Django it mentions him having a nylon string, i maybe mistaken i've read lost over the last few months, but i still feel that some of the records 'sound' like a nylon string guitar, to my ears anyway.
    Maybe what i hear is down to when he used the D shape Selmer/mac and the way he sounds its as if he bounces off the strings, to me that sounds like a classical/flamenco guitar shape, maybe because of the short length scale on the D shape guitars i've found you get a bouncier touch with the strings on these guitars opposed to the Oval hole long scale tighter tension.
    But then again, it is Django we're talking about, his immense power and control over the guitar he could sound like a animal if he wanted to. (L.Blues - 2.06 sounds like a roar)
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    speaking of nylon strings, you gotta hear this guy play la foule

http://www.youtube.com/v/ekzWe_yUMaA