DjangoBooks.com

Wegen Pick decision

Hi guys,

I was wondering what makes the wegen picks so desirable? I currently have a rosewood 5mm pick, and I believe it's a john pearse.

I was deciding whether or not to get the regular gypsy jazz or button wegen though.

How is the button for regular lead playing instead of rhythm?

Thanks,

Daniel

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Hi Daniel,
    I really like Wegen Gypsy jazz picks, they last forever and they sound good, I like that concave spot for the thumb.
    Try one.
    My first Wegen lasted about a year and a half, now it looks like the button, and it's good for rhythm but lacks defiition for lead.

P.S I prefer black but the white ones are easier to find when you drop em.
  • pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
    The GJ pick is a better all-around choice in my opinion.

The Button is really great for rhythm but I find it takes a lot of effort to make it work for lead.

Go for the GJ, you won't be disappointed and it will surely outlast the wood pick you are used to.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Between those two picks... definitely start out with the standard "original" GJ pick. It'll help you develop good form. The button is very slippery on the strings and what you need is to develop your touch. once you have the touch - darned near any reasonably thick pick will be usable.

Most people seem to start thick and go thinner as they get their technique down - just my observation. The 3.5mm GJ pick is a classic - good place to start in the Wegen product line. If you already have reasonably good technique and you're willing to lay down a few bucks to zero-in on the right pick... try the GJ 2.5mm and the BigCity. (1.8mm version) as well. Both are good picks but require good technique and favor lead playing. The button is an odd one. It was constructed from a drawing of one of Django's old picks... but basically it's just a "really worn out" pick.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.