DjangoBooks.com

Example 12: Pompe Four

Chris PetersonChris Peterson Santa Monica, CANew
edited June 2008 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 50
I have been going through the new book and came across a problem with Example 12. The book says to play all beats short with an accent on 2 and 4. The recording, however has a long note on 1 and 3 with short 2 and 4. Which one is right?

Thanks,
Chris
Work on the <A HREF="http://www.petersonmusic.com/wiki">Gypsy Jazz Fake Book</A>.No finale experience necessary.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    It's supposed to be long on 1 and 3. Just copy the recording.

My designer put the wrong image in there...it's a subtle difference, but important.

Sorry...

'm
  • Chris PetersonChris Peterson Santa Monica, CANew
    I used to work as a copyist, so I am probably overly critical about this stuff. So far the book looks great. I have been spending the week just playing the Trad Pompe with all the different songs I know, trying to get it ingrained in my playing.

Good stuff!
    Chris
    Work on the <A HREF="http://www.petersonmusic.com/wiki">Gypsy Jazz Fake Book</A>.No finale experience necessary.
    Great...that's what you should be doing! The "Pompe Four" in example 12 is a special rhythmic style anyway. Much more contemporary....I wouldn't worry about it until your trad. pompe is solid.
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    Michael,

Grad school has had me down and not playing much so I started a back to basics practice regime. I encountered the same problem as above but have one more question and a clarification.

So the long notes are on the 1 & 3 but the accent remains with the short 2 & 4?

Second question, the text says play the bass strings on the 1 & 3 and the treble strings on the 2 & 4. However, I hear as high as the F# on the 2nd string in the long 1 & 3 beats but more of a muted chord (not sounding treble) on the 2& 4. Can you please explain? I'm not familiar with Pompe Four. Also, any recommendations to where I can hear this style in action?

Thanks!
    Bill
    So the long notes are on the 1 & 3 but the accent remains with the short 2 & 4?

More or less....although the pompe four sort of has a bass accent. So in a way every beat is accented. It's a bass string accent on the 1 and 3 and a treble string accent on the 2 and 4. I noticed the French guys that use this rhythm feel it more on 1 and 3.

Second question, the text says play the bass strings on the 1 & 3 and the treble strings on the 2 & 4. However, I hear as high as the F# on the 2nd string in the long 1 & 3 beats but more of a muted chord (not sounding treble) on the 2& 4. Can you please explain? I'm not familiar with Pompe Four. Also, any recommendations to where I can hear this style in action?

Yes, it's muted or semi muted, very short chord sound on 2 and 4. I believe I mention that in the book somewhere. Generally, the contemporary styles have that clipped 2 and 4. The older styles, like Django, have a longer 2 and 4.

'm