DjangoBooks.com

GJ in the Boston area?

skiski Boston, USANew
edited July 2007 in North America Posts: 86
Does anyone know of any clubs, bars, restaurants, etc. in the Boston area that feature GJ groups on a somewhat regular basis?

I saw in another thread that Atwood's in Cambridge featured Ameranouche this past spring - are there others? I'd love to be able to actually see this music played live more often. There was a place in Worcester that featured this music but they appear to have gone out of business.

Thanks,
ski

Comments

• AJATangoAJATango New
    ski, my gorup will be doing something at the Paradise on 7/29 and at the Bulfinch pub with Sinti Rhythm on 8/7 and at the 711 Bistro 8/2

I am working on getting a steady series going at the Bulfinch..we'll see.

I'm aslo trying to find a locaiotn Ameranouche and my group can take over once per month. if you have ideas, let me know.

I'll post gig announcements as they get closer. We not only do GJ but, also other jazz and tango and anything 1900-1949 pretty much. With vocals and with out.
  • SorefSoref Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭
    Hi, I play guitar for Sinti Rhythm. We play Atwood's Tavern every second saturday of the month. Our next show is on july 14th. This one is going to be a little less gypsy jazz-centric than our other gigs, because we're only going to have one guitarist, but there will be some great guest hornplayers sitting in. Come august it will be back to gypsy jazz as normal.

Ameranouche was so kind as to fill in for us the first time they played Atwood's, and it was absolutely great, of course. They've been back since and likely will be again.

I'm looking forward to the gig on 8/7 with Adriel Azure and his Dream Indigo Orchestra, that should be a good one. Really, there isn't a terribly big scene in Boston yet, but there is Adriel, Ameranouche, Sinti Rhythm, John Mcgann has a group called Durango Reinhardt that does gigs in Boston. I know of some of players who have things in the works too, so keep your eyes peeled for new bands in the city.

p.s.
    If you're ever interested in a GJ jam session, we used to organize one fairly regularly, and if people express an interest we might be able to start it up again.
  • robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
    I'll try to catch you guys Saturday the 14th at Atwood's even if it's not all Gypsy Jazz...and on later gigs when it is. I really want to stay connected with this music.

-Rob

P.S.: I'm interested in knowing about any GJ jams around.
  • SorefSoref Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2007 Posts: 94
    Hey Rob, it's great to hear that.
    This last weekend I had the pleasure of playing wiith Shepp (of Ameranouche fame) at a private event, wow what a player. Everyone knows he's a hot soloist, but his rhythm playing is equally strong. He's got a great sense of groove. Anyhow, we were talking about how nice it would be to really get Boston GJ enthusiasts more connected.
    My buddy Lex has organized some great jam sessions, introduced a lot of people in the local scene to eachother, and with Ben Vigoda brought the Stephane Wrembel trio over for a show and a number of workshops. Because of guys like this we do have a scene in Boston, and it would be really nice to see it flourish. If anyone's is interested in playing, or even just hanging out at GJ jam sessions in the Boston area definitely give me a PM.

-Jack

P.S.
    At the risk of sounding desperate I want to add. All levels of skill and experience are welcome. Having a local jam can be a great way to meet people, start bands, learn a new chord etc. I know I've gotten the chance to do all three of those things at previous sessions. So please send me a message, these sessions were a lot of fun, and it would be really cool to see them start up again.
    Jack,

Yes I've heard Shepp's stuff in his trio and he's great, got a real pulse to his playing.

Glad to hear you all've been organizing jams. I remember Lex, a great player, and Ben Vigoda's on a Boston mailing list I threw together though I never met him, so if you guys get any ideas, count me in. I'll forward the mailing list to you if you want. I got a g-mail address for you...maybe it didn't take.

Anyway, I'd like to see the GJ culture flourish in Boston more too.

There's a jam session of traditional jazz that's been going on every month for over 30 years called Sam's Jam that started at the Cambridge Center for Adult Ed...it's still going strong. No reason why GJ couldn't do something like that, maybe every other month or something.

-Rob
  • skiski Boston, USANew
    Hi Rob, Jack,

I'm also interested in seeing a more active local GJ scene. I'll have to check out one of the gigs at Atwood's and please keep me posted if any other events come up.

I'm a complete beginner in the style but seeing and playing with others would probably be the best thing to help me improve - that is, as long as my novice status can be tolerated.

Best,
    ski
    edited July 2007 Posts: 244
    Ski,

I agree with Jack, GJ afficianados are always welcome regardless of level—the more the merrier. I have your email address so you're on the mailing list. Whenever I hear something, I'll send it around. Likewise I'll watch my in-box or this forum for Gypsy Jazz events.

And don't forget, Thursday, August 2, 7:30 at Regattabar in Cambridge, Dorado & Samson Schmitt and their quintet with Ludovic Beier on accordion and accordina, Pierre Blanchard on violin, and Brian Torff on bass will be in town celebrating Django's music.

-Rob
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,

You can add me to the list too-Boston isn't that far, really!

Best,
    Jack.
    swingcaravan ((AT)) gmail
    Jack,

Email me your email address...you can do it by PM (private message) if you don't wanna post it, and I'll add it.

I had seen your website, and it looks like you're definitely a hardcore fan and player of the genre.

OK Jack, done: you're on the list.
  • pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    Keep the Rhode Islanders in mind!

-Paul
    Reject the null hypothesis.