DjangoBooks.com

Joscho Stephan playing a Cigano

Comments

• aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    the neck on my cigano d-hole is definitely thicker than the 250..the guitar is almost identical to the d-500 in construction, but it's got a more dry sound.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    a wrote:
    the neck on my cigano d-hole is definitely thicker than the 250..

Thanks, that's what others have told me. I really can't imagine a neck being thinner than a 250!
    on a slightly unrelated note, my cigano has the first recorded defect for the model: the ebony saddle where the tailpiece goes over the body is thinner than that of the gitanes, and it is not rounded, and under the stress has a small split in the wood on the bass side, causing the tailpiece to warp slightly. i'm sending it back to saga tomorrow, and they'll scope it out and fix it. just a word of warning. excellent guitar otherwise, it sounds *better* than the d500 because of the thinner finish (in my opinion).
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    For any of you that have this guitar or plan to get one make sure and put leather under the tail piece ASAP or order it from Michael and have me do that in the setup. It will help this problem.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • django'spooltalentdjango'spooltalent ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like they are using the molds for the 330 for the oval cigano since they increased the neck angle to accommodate the bridge height. Question, did they increase the dome on the top as well?

For the d-hole, they did the same process and used the mold of the old d-500. I'm really would like to see a a dg-300 series, high quality, 12 fret d-hole.
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    I think it is great they have a model lesser expensive than the 500

but .. I too would like to see a 300 series in a 12 fret D hole...

it's a natural.....
  • mgarelickmgarelick New
    Is Vignola playing a baritone guitar?
    no, it's just his benedetto guitar. also, while i don't mind that my video has been used in the archive, it would been nice to have been notified. no worries though, i uploaded it to youtube so people could enjoy it in the first place.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    It looks like they are using the molds for the 330 for the oval cigano since they increased the neck angle to accommodate the bridge height. Question, did they increase the dome on the top as well?

For the d-hole, they did the same process and used the mold of the old d-500.

you are EXACTLY right in those statements (although I have never actually played a 330)... yes, the dome is arched more and the neck angle is steeper on the O-hole... the Cigano D hole is almost identical to the Gitane D hole, but the paintjob is different.
  • TroelsTroels Whidbey Island, WANew
    Just a note on the technique Joscho Stephan is using.

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzRAWSr ... ed&search=

Note that he plays the A on 4th string with an up stroke.

I think it would be next to impossible to play the lick at the speed he does
    with a down stroke on that note, which would be the "Gypsy" way to do it (as a string change occurs) according to Michael Horowitz.