DjangoBooks.com

Alma Sinti Fans?

riversaxriversax Oxfordshire, UK✭✭ Gitane DG255, Gretsch Jim Dandy
edited July 2007 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 11
Could anyone recommend an Alma Sinti CD as a good starting point ?
Thanks
regards
Roger

Comments

• pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
    Personally, I prefer "La roulotte" and "Le chemin des forains"
  • riversaxriversax Oxfordshire, UK✭✭ Gitane DG255, Gretsch Jim Dandy
    Hi
    Personally, I prefer "La roulotte" and "Le chemin des forains"

Any particular reasons for this - are they earlier or later works?
  • SorefSoref Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭
    I absolutely love the Alma Sinti albums I have. I have to say they are all worth having, but I don't listen as much to the self-titled Alma Sinti. The first album features more "latin" grooves with Patrick playing nylon. That in itself is fine but these numbers seem to have this overt smooth-jazzy feel, which makes me want to skip those tracks. However the valses and swing standards on that first album really make it worth getting anyways I think. There are great stand out tracks on all the albums.

The version of "Tune Up" on Rythmes Gitanes is great as is the title track. That album also has one of my favorite versions of minor swing. All the rhythm guitarists get a chorus to solo as well as Patrick and Jean-Claude, and each solo is succint, lyrical, and tasty. Another thing I love about that album is the vibes player who's on a number of tracks. I always feel like that instrument has great potential in a GJ context.

La Roulotte has that killer version of the "Song is You", and "Mes Jeunes Annees" has nice playing from both Patrick, and Koen Decauter who plays guitar on this tune.

Les Chemins de Forains is very strong "La Chanson de Zelie" always gets me. It makes me feel like I should be on a fast train ride out of paris with caravans and such outside the windows... or something :roll:
    Viva Alcazar has cool dual accordions, and the title track is once again a great standout number.

These are just some of my personal favorites, but these are all pretty strong albums all around. Alma Sinti regardless of its constant shifts in personnel manages to keep its own totally unique feel and sound. It's almost like the music comes from the great little cartoon world featured on the covers of the albums. I hope I don't sound too ridiculous, but I really like these albums.
  • jmcgannjmcgann Boston MA USANew
    Alma Sinti and Note Manouche are two of my favorite modern groups.
    www.johnmcgann.com

I've never heard Django play a note without commitment.
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    Soref wrote:
    I absolutely love the Alma Sinti albums I have. I have to say they are all worth having, but I don't listen as much to the self-titled Alma Sinti. The first album features more "latin" grooves with Patrick playing nylon.

I don't hear any nylon strings in the first album. On the contrary (is that contrary?), Patrick Saussois used electric sound achieved by Stimer-pickup quite much in that one.

Other than that, I agree totally. Love, too, all Alma Sinti albums I have - and I have them all, except the last one. My favorites are the second and the third: Rythmes Gitans and La Roulotte, as they have the perfect mix of the essential grooves and wonderful use of soprano sax, which IMO should start replacing clarinet as the first choise reed in GJ. Le chemin des forains is - in comparison - a bit soft to my ears, with harmonica and all. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent album as well, but if I had to choose just two, they'd be Rythmes and Roulotte.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    I'm a go with Kimmo on this one. Rhythms Gitanes and La Roulotte are my favorites. I like the first one just not as much as the second and third. I haven't heard La Nuit des Paris yet though.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • SorefSoref Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭
    I don't hear any nylon strings in the first album

It sounds to me like a nylon on "Lucciola", "Impatience", "Alma Sinti" "Lola".

I could be wrong, in which case I have to say I much prefer his acoustic tone on all the other tracks to these ones. Still I'm pretty sure thats a nylon.
    Alma Sinti and Note Manouche are two of my favorite modern groups.

the Note Manouche stuff is also some of my favorite. That and Mandino and Marcel's solo projects.
  • riversaxriversax Oxfordshire, UK✭✭ Gitane DG255, Gretsch Jim Dandy
    :D
    thanks for all the replies! And the descriptions - very helpful.
    I think perhaps I'll go for La roulotte or Rhythym gitane to start and maybe follow up with the other one and Les chemins de forains later. From the little I've heard they sound good.. melodic and swinging and with their own feel and sound.
    regards

Roger
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    Soref wrote:
    It sounds to me like a nylon on "Lucciola", "Impatience", "Alma Sinti" "Lola".

I shouldn't post so fast without checking my facts first, you're absolutely right, that's nylon on those tunes. Seems I hadn't listened to this one for a while.
    Soref wrote:
    the Note Manouche stuff is also some of my favorite. That and Mandino and Marcel's solo projects.

Marcel Loeffler's two recent albums Source Manouche and Hommage are real gems.