DjangoBooks.com

Tchan Tchou Live in Toulon 1982

shortjtshortjt Portland, ORNew
edited July 2007 in History Posts: 3
I've seen reference to a "Live in Toulon" Tchan Tchou recording a few times, and finally recently came across a copy, although I think I'm missing some of the tracks.

I can't seem to find much information on it. Does anyone know any details about it? Was it ever officially released, or is it a bootleg? Who are the players on it? Does anyone have a complete track list for it?

Thanks so much,
Jimmy

Comments

• BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Hi,

this is the tracklist, as far as I figured it out by listening:

1. All the things you are
    2. There will never be another you
    3. Les deux guitares
    4. Les feuilles mortes
    5. Les yeux noirs
    6. All of me
    7. Troublant Bolero
    8. Swing Valse
    9. La Foule
    10. Fate
    11. Cesar Swing
    12. Dolores
    13. Undecided
    14. Bei Dir war es immer so schön
    15. Espoirs Perdus
    16. Sweet Georgia Brown
    17. Maria Elena (not 100% sure for this one!)

Unfortunately I don´t know the personnel, but the rhythm guitarist sounds like Francois Codaccioni. I guess it´s a bootleg, but this is not sure. I think it was recorded in 1982.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Best,
    Barengero
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    More important, does anyone know where this can be had?
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    I have most of it -- missing track "17" but have tracks labeled 18 & 19. However, while my track list matches what's posted above, the tracks are mislabeled -- so what's labeled "Sweet Georgia Brown" is actually "Les Yeux Noirs." To futher complicate matters, I have another set of tracks (I'm not even sure where I got these) that are labeled "1989 Montpelier" and which are numbered 20-30 but some tracks are missing. These tracks sound to me like they're not from the same dates -- the recording quality varies too much.

Michael, send me a PM & I'll send you what I have. Maybe we can sort it out.

thanks,

John
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    John--

Will do? Thanks!

Michael
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • shortjtshortjt Portland, ORNew
    Thanks for the track listing Barengero!

I seem to be missing track 9, La Foule, and had a track 18 listed as well. No 19, though. Looks like several permutations are floating around the internet....

Jimmy
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    Recorded at the Victoria in Toulon in 1982, Francois Coddaccioni on 2nd guitar and Francois Grimaldi on bass. 11 is titled here as "Cesar Swing" but it does not sound like the tune generally known by that name. I have always known this tune as "Roundalette". I don't know what tune 19 is, IMO it comes from a different session. John, the tunes you have labeled 20-30 probably come from Montpellier in 1985. These tunes are all standards, easy to figure out. 21 is "Comme d'Habitude" which we know as "My Way". 28 is "La Gitane" and 29 is "Dolores", these are swapped on my list. The last tune is "Sabor a Mi".

These are both bootlegs - we're fortunate that there are many such bootlegs in circulation of Tchan-tchou, who was a wonderful guitarist and so typical of his time. He always sounds like he's having a blast and his playing is full of good humor - nothing dogmatic about Tchan-tchou.