DjangoBooks.com

There will never be another you!

CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
edited July 2007 in Repertoire Posts: 557
Hey guys I have been checking this tune out for a few days. One of those cool tunes that gypsy cats play and a tune I play with my strait ahead playing friends. My question is this. What key do most gypsy players play this in? i am used to playing it in Eb, but in my Cossimini book it is in D and he says most gypsy player play it there. this isn't really that big of a deal the keys are a half step apart so playing it in either is not really an issue,but for the sake of boredom and intrest I figured I would take a mini-poll and see where most guys here play it. P.S. there is a video Dennis posted on youtube of Chris Campion playing it at samois which is really hip.
Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

Comments

• pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
    The most common key is Eb (as in the Bireli Liva a Vienne DVD) but, as mentioned in the Cossimini book, some players play it in D also.

I would recommend practicing it in both keys: it's a good exercise anyway.
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    When Angelo Debarre plays it on his CD with Ludovic Beier, he does it in Eb as well.
    - JG
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    I agree, mostly eb, but try for a few other keys as well . . . . I have had to play it in a few other keys with singers that you would not expect (bb, c, and so on).
    Cheers,
    B.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    i always switch the key in the middle of song. lead players love that. ha ha ha
  • badjazzbadjazz Maui, Hawaii USA✭✭✭ AJL
    This is our set break tune. We play it in Eb, too.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hi Cale,

Eb for me too.

best,
    Jack.
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    CalebFSU wrote:
    I figured I would take a mini-poll and see where most guys here play it.

Eb for me, mostly.
    CalebFSU wrote:
    P.S. there is a video Dennis posted on youtube of Chris Campion playing it at samois which is really hip.

And that's in D. And the authority they play it with (especially CC), they really are used to playing it in that key.
  • SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
    Oh dear... Does this mean I'm in big trouble for playing it in'G' ?

Will I be cast out of the encampment?

SP
  • badjazzbadjazz Maui, Hawaii USA✭✭✭ AJL
    It's not as bad as driving on the left side of the street.
  • SorefSoref Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭
    I've always played it Eb. Playing it in D as Caleb mentioned doesn't seem like that much of a stretch though.

Hey Spalo just out of curiousity why did you learn it in G? Is there a favorite recording in G, or something like that?