DjangoBooks.com

That Dry Rhythm Sound

2»

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Regarding action for rhythm guitar, it's worth noting that some rhythm players use very low action. I've played Nous'che Rosenberg's Maccaferi numerous times and it was quite low and with a very buttery feel. In my experience, lower action is somewhat preferable for rhythm. Fret buzz doesn't matter as much when you're playing chords. And the lower string tension makes it a little easier on both hands. It also mellows the sound out somewhat, gives a bit lusher, fuller sound.

However, I know some of the German/Alsatian rhythm players go with higher action. They play very strongly, so it suits the style. But for a more modern, Rosenberg type style low action could work well.

Higher action does sound "dryer." Lower action creates lower string tension which almost always produces a "wetter," more reverby sound.

I find higher action helps with the leads. You want the punch, and a clear, buzz free tone. Some buzz is OK. But if you get too low you loose volume and tone.

Also, this all depends on what guitar you're playing. Favino style, Selmer style, 12 fret, 14 fret, etc. There are so many variables so it's hard to make a blanket statement. My Favinos hate low action...they just totally die. But my Dupont, which is built like a Selmer, likes the lowest possible action with 11 gauge strings. If I raise it, it kills the sound. So you really just have to experiment...
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Barengero wrote:
    Mario is really an "extra dry" rhythm player and I had the chance to take a close look at his technique.

Here you see Mario in action, together with Wawau and another talented rhythm player :wink:

Best,
    Barengero
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Thanks for your ideas Michael. I'll experiment some with action height.

Thanks for the video Barengero, it helps. Love that dry sound, it really sets the foundation for the soloist.

I saw both Wawau & Ted play together at Django in June a couple months ago. Awesome!

Craig
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭

Resurrection, sorry; messing with my Altamira. Michael, and all, how low was Nous'che's Mac? My Altamira is currently at 3.5 with La Bella S & S 11's on it, the lights (will try out 10's when my hand repairs a bit). Sort of ..... underwhelmed with this setup for some reason. Lost a kind of bass crunch, really big dropoff on volume. Dull. This is compared to the V027's, which were dry and crunchy, total pleasant surprise as I'd never used S & S's before. They just died quickly but I think that's my fault.

So, yes, looking for a good, bassy, crunchy sound; playability over the long haul, suggesting lower action and possibly lighter gauges, so maybe this is determinant. Crunchy, but not Alsatian. Dry, but with Nous'che's beautiful lightness. Maybe that's what you mean by his butteriness, and maybe I'm asking too much to get all these qualities in a given setup.

Keeping to S & S, any thoughts as to height and gauge (I'm really just intrigued by Nous'che's being low....at 3.5mm, I don't know if I'm "midway" or on the lower side)?

-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 6,153

@Passacaglia Well, it was about twenty years ago when I played Nous'che's guitar so I can't say precisely how low it was. Also, keep in mind, it was a short scale 12 fret Maccaferri, so quite different than the 14 fret guitar you have now. But with that said, it seemed really low. So low, that if you played single notes they would just fret out. Maybe 2.2mm?

Passacaglia
    edited June 2020 Posts: 1,471

Thank you Michael. Yikes, I can't remember what I did yesterday!

Can I ask - my luthier, concerned for my hands, wants to drop it down from 3.5. I don't know what the short-scale v. long-scale comparative would be. Should I just shoot him that the 12-fret was as low as 2.2, and we can talk about it? I guess I'm asking if you have any recommendations for this guitar, at 3.5, given the criteria above?

-Paul

edited July 2020 Posts: 6,153

A good tech can get it down to around 2.5mm without it getting too buzzy or fretting out. Below that, everything needs to be perfect (i.e. every fret perfectly level and dressed. neck relief set just right, etc) to be usable, and even then it will buzz a lot so you have to learn to control that and/or accept it.

I'd shoot for 2.8mm, that's usually the best compromise.

wimPassacagliamac63000BonesBillDaCostaWilliams

Many thanks, Michael.

-Paul