DjangoBooks.com

gypsy guitar

I have been playing gypsy jazz for a while on an archtop and am interested in getting a gypsy guitar. Does anyone have any recommendations for a gypsy guitar that is not to expensive and sounds authentic and is playable.
Scotty

Comments

• JohnBJohnB New
    my gitane. £400 mint condition! model is DG-250M.
  • manoucheguitarsmanoucheguitars New MexicoNew
    Hi there, I'd highly recommend the guitar JohnB has for sale... for the money they're great guitars... very cool looking too! The one I had played nicely.

Robert
  • scotty577scotty577 New
    My archtop is vintage gibson. I read an opinion that most likely Django would not have used a Selmer if he was playing today he most likely would have played on an archtop. I really enjoy the tone I get playing on my archtop and am wondering if playing a Selmer type guitar would be superior in sound and feel. Is it wotth getting one?
    Scotty477
  • manoucheguitarsmanoucheguitars New MexicoNew
    It's worth getting one... I like to play archtops too but they just don't quite get you there in some respects. Apparently Django didn't think much of American made guitars although there are a lot of gypsy players using archtops of all kinds. My advice to guitarists is always the same... get one of each and switch when you're moving from style to style.
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    "my gitane. £400 mint condition! model is DG-250M."

That's over $800 U.S. and for a 250M thats allot. Sorry John :?

If you are going to spend that kind of cash get the DG-300.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • chappiechappie ✭✭✭✭
    https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/cg ... t=&catstr=

or... http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/DG300.htm ... with free shipping.

These are good guitars... I sold mine a couple years ago and still regret it even though I love my Dupont. I wish I had it for travel and crazy bar jams. It was loud and articulate and had a great gypsy sound. These are really good guitars...with a little tweaking...way better than the 250's. You could probably find it even cheaper on ebay though don't buy it from any Chinese seller.

C--
    charlie
  • scotty577scotty577 New
    Charlie
    Why are the 300s better than the 250s. what makes them better? Also, i interested in a dupont but dont want to pay quite that much. How do the 300s compare with the Dupont?
    Sc9tty
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    The 300 has a great neck and just has a better tone all around.

If your looking for a good deal look no further. Michael has the best deal on the net plus you can get it set up before hand so it's ready to jam out of the box. You never know what you might get from one of those ebay sellers...

Cheers,
    Josh
  • scotty577scotty577 New
    Does anyone have an opinion on which model 300, the 300 or the 310 is preferable or plays better?
    Thanks
    Scotty
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    scotty577 wrote:
    Charlie
    Why are the 300s better than the 250s. what makes them better? Also, i interested in a dupont but dont want to pay quite that much. How do the 300s compare with the Dupont?
    Sc9tty

I agree with Josh. I love my 250M - it gave me a great start, but the neck is so damned thin it's ridiculous. While it might seem logical that a thinner neck would be easier to play, in reality a thick neck gives you more leverage, which will especially come in handy if you decide to adopt the higher action which is typical to gypsy picking.

If doing it all over again, I'd probably get the Jorg for the neck, even though I love the sound and look of maple so much.

Oh, and if you order it from Djangobooks.com and can spring for the custom bridge, I highly recommend that too. It's a big improvement over the stock bridge.