DjangoBooks.com

How to reduce sympathetic ringing?

2»

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    You should ask Josh about that....
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    You can certainly modify the original Gitane bridge yourself if you have good wood working skills. I carefully studied the Dupont bridge which is a copy of the Selmer bridge. My Gitane bridge is ebony, which is denser than rosewood, which the Dupont bridges are made of.
    I basically doubled the amount of the hollowed out section on the underneath of the bridge and extended it a bit further on the ends of hollowed section. I left a 2 mm thick wall to allow for strength. My Gitane bridge gave me the best playability and intonation whiich I could not get from replacement bridges. In my case I had a machinist rout out the wood with a 60 degree bit.
    You could use a Dremel tool if you have a steady hand.
    The result was excellent - it sounds very much like a Dupont bridge with the benefit of having excellent intonation and correct action.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Heretic,

I don't know anyone with a Dupont. Is there any way you can clarify this?

I am thinking you mean that it is a V shaped groove with 2mm on either edge of the groove to the outside edge of the bridge.

Thanks
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    Yes. You want to keep about a 2 mm wall thickness for strength and stability.

Work slowly and carefully. You get no second chances in life, or with bridge alterations.
  • artillerie_lourdeartillerie_lourde Across the PondNew
    Heretic wrote:
    You can certainly modify the original Gitane bridge yourself if you have good wood working skills. I carefully studied the Dupont bridge which is a copy of the Selmer bridge. My Gitane bridge is ebony, which is denser than rosewood, which the Dupont bridges are made of.
    I basically doubled the amount of the hollowed out section on the underneath of the bridge and extended it a bit further on the ends of hollowed section. I left a 2 mm thick wall to allow for strength. My Gitane bridge gave me the best playability and intonation whiich I could not get from replacement bridges. In my case I had a machinist rout out the wood with a 60 degree bit.
    You could use a Dremel tool if you have a steady hand.
    The result was excellent - it sounds very much like a Dupont bridge with the benefit of having excellent intonation and correct action.

I have heard Heretic's Gitane with the modified stock bridge and it certainly is will worth doing. Wonderful sounding guitar.
    Neville