DjangoBooks.com

Django-guitars compared to other acoustic guitars

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    kimmo wrote:
    [
    I tried that model (darkened cedar-top, d-hole, lots of gold and glimmer) in Hahls stand in Samois in 2003. It was a great guitar, but I was a bit surprised that it had 012 bronze strings on. When I mentioned that in the forum, I think it was Nick who said that Bireli played his Hahl also with bronzes.

Interesting! Thanks for the info...

The brashness might also be due to the ultra-heavy compression added in the mixing/mastering board. I've always wondered why they had to sqeeze him so flat in those two first GPs.

Yes, the compression on those first two Gypsy Project CDs is ridiculous. It certainly didn't make his guitar sound any better. However, I have a Dupont VR and from the first moment I played it reminded of those Bireli recordings. It sounds just like that....it's definitely on the brash side. But in a good sort of way. Like I said earlier, despite the quality of the VR, I don't think it was the ideal guitar for Bireli.

'm
    kimmo wrote:
    I tried that model (darkened cedar-top, d-hole, lots of gold and glimmer) in Hahls stand in Samois in 2003.

On Hahl's site he says the Bireli model has a spruce top:

http://www.hahl-guitars.de/site.php4?hl=mac
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    edited October 2007 Posts: 551
    I believe it says 40 year old Alpenfichte, doesn't it?

I checked, and while I couldn't find it in translation, elsewhere online it said in parentheses immediately after, "Zeder" which I take to mean Cedar.

Sure looks and sounds like it.

Looky here: http://www.kreul-gitarren.de/git_carl.htm
    Elliot wrote:
    I believe it says 40 year old Alpenfichte, doesn't it?

"Alpenfichte" means Alpine Spruce.
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    I spoke to the local dealer at Spruce Tree Music, he had no idea for the reason that as he says one cannot be sure about common names of local origin. He said that for example, in Europe they will call maple 'sycamore' for some reason, and so the only way to know is to contact the manufacturer. They call squirrels 'tree rats' around here, and I once saw something they called Head Cheese that I was supposed to eat, but we are getting OT.

For all I know you are absolutely correct, and I am willing to accede just because I don't miss dinner either way.

It does bother me that the other site clearly says Zeder, though... :(

...Did I mention that kimmo is never wrong, (tee-hee)? At least he held one in his hand and he says it was Cedar. He seems like an observant fellow, I would hate to think he was totally incorrect, having been up close and personal with it. I think I'll go eat dinner now.

If I'm right, do I get a free copy of Gypsy Rhythm ? :)
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Sometimes words get translated incorrectly and wood names are rife with opportunity for incorrect translations so this may have happened to your friend with the Cedar reference...

In any case, English Sycamore is a Maple. I don't know how the whole categorization is classified but English Sycamore is called a "Sycamore Maple" (Acer Pseudoplantus) I'm not sure if all Sycamores are Maples or visa versa but English Sycamore is (a maple)
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    kimmo wrote:
    I tried that model (darkened cedar-top, d-hole, lots of gold and glimmer) in Hahls stand in Samois in 2003.

On Hahl's site he says the Bireli model has a spruce top:

http://www.hahl-guitars.de/site.php4?hl=mac

I asked Mr. Hahl, and he told me it's cedar. Hard to tell by looks because of the dark brown finish. I don't think there was any room for confusion because it was his top model and he was extra careful with it; he even asked me to take my belt off before playing it. Superb craftmanship to the last detail, although a bit too decorated to my taste. Wawau played it on main stage that year.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i've tried the bireli gutiar as well as the bireli signature model archtop which doesn't seem to be on hahl's website...

at any rate, amaizng instruments but i don't think i'm willing to pay the 20000 euros for the archtop
    kimmo wrote:

I asked Mr. Hahl, and he told me it's cedar.

thanks for the clarification.....so I guess the one Bireli is playing is cedar. But by the look of Hahl's site, he's building the stock ones from aged spruce.

Maybe Bob or Josh can answer this....is cedar less expensive then spruce? Just curious.

I've actually owned two Gypsy guitars with cedar tops. My very first one was a Michael Dunn. I recently got a JP Favino which also has a cedar top. Other then the top, they are two very different guitars. But when I first played the JP Favino with the cedar top, it instantly reminded me of the Dunn. From my observations, cedar seems to give a very dry, clear, bell like tone. Not very complex, but extremely well defined and very loud. Actually, the JP Favino with the cedar top is the loudest guitar I've got. Louder then a Dupont VR, and just about anything else I've compared it to. But since it's so dry, and "simple" in tone, it's a little boring when played solo. But in a group setting it cuts like a razor without being brash. Really interesting.

Bob, just wondering what's your take on cedar tops?

'm
    dennis wrote:
    i've tried the bireli gutiar as well as the bireli signature model archtop which doesn't seem to be on hahl's website...

at any rate, amaizng instruments but i don't think i'm willing to pay the 20000 euros for the archtop

wow...the archtops are that much? I've seen the Gitano models in the 4-6,000 Euro range. Pricey for Gypsy guitars, but not outrageous.