DjangoBooks.com

Booming guitar

I have a Gitane D500. And I am having trouble getting a clean sound out of the thing. In other words, its got echo, and a boomy sound. When I play single not lines, it echoes quite a bit and the notes don't sound "clean". I feel like I need to mute all strings that are not being played. Does anyone else have this problem? And if so, is there a solution? Special strings, stuff the guitar with something to kill the boominess? Thanks.

Comments

• manoucheguitarsmanoucheguitars New MexicoNew
    Hi. I noticed that about the D-500 I used to have prior to my Manouche. You could try a different bridge, different strings, different playing attack... or a combination of the above. My opinion is to first try your string attack. Is the guitar new? I know Saga used to ship those with (I shudder to think) bronze strings. It's like no one at the factory had a clue about gypsy guitars... and if it does have bronze strings take them off (I cut my off with electrical wire cutters, frowning) and replace them immediately and use the bronze strings for what they do best... holding up that wind chime you may have bought at a garage sale. Anyway if all that fails try to get Saga to replace it (good luck) or whoever you bought it from. Remember that not all guitars are created equally and can vary a lot even in the same production run.

Robert
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    This is a common problem...see this thread: viewtopic.php?t=3695
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I would recommend not doing anything to your guitar until you have someone who is experienced with gypsy guitars play your instrument and then tell you what he/she thinks.