DjangoBooks.com

What anthology to get?

robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
edited October 2007 in Repertoire Posts: 244
I'm looking for a comprehensive collection of Django tunes in the meantime while our GJ fakebook project plods forward. I don't want to wait if it just means shelling out a few bucks for something that may not be perfect. I don't really need jazz standards from the Real Books since I have a comprehensive CD of fakebooks. What I'd like to find are chord & melody sheets of the gypsy and French tunes Django did which are harder to find.

Is the Cosimini anthology still in print? all I seem to find are numbered chord books with CDs attached, which I don't need.

Is there a difference between the Mike Peters Django Reinhardt Anthology that is advertised on some sites at $65.95 and ones that cost $14 or thereabouts? New vs used?

-Rob

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Where is the Mike Peters book advertised as $65? to my knowledge there's only one book which is pretty small.

For Django's compositions this is the best book:

• robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
    Where is the Mike Peters book advertised as $65? to my knowledge there's only one book which is pretty small.

Here, and at one or two other links I came upon:
    http://www.google.com/products?q=Django ... t-restrict

If you Google Django Reinhardt Anthology Mike Peters, some of the links that come up feature a $65 version. The Peters book does seem pretty limited for an anthology.

I'll check out the book you suggest, Michael. I had looked on Djangobooks but not found what I was looking for.

Thanks,

-Rob
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    That's the same book we sell for $12! There's no difference....not sure why they're asking so much. Totally ridiculous.......
    That's the same book we sell for $12! There's no difference....not sure why they're asking so much. Totally ridiculous.......

I also thought it was odd. Vagaries of the marketplace and whatnot. One of those very sites has terrible service, by the reviews...I wouldn't go near them with a ten-foot pole.

Well dagnabbit, I went and bought the Peters book off Amazon already, just a couple hours ago. I don't know why I didn't see it here...would have rather given djangobooks my biz than Amazon. Oh well, I'll be bellying up here before long to invest in more of those blue-chip Wegen picks.

Rob :)

BTW I seem to have permanently skewed the wraparound margins of this thread. Sorry if I did.
  • A.K. KibbenA.K. Kibben Tucson AZ USANew
    Rob,
    I was told to tell you to check your mail box soon...
    Django Claus is coming...
    I'm sure it will make up the difference with your over payed book...
    Like my Dad always said, "You live and you learn, then you die and forget it all."
    A.K.
    Those words have the ring of authority to them, A.K. I'll remember them well. :)

-R
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I would say that the Robin Nolan Gig Book is definitely the book to get. I think it is a bit more useful than the Anthology mentioned above (The Ultimate Djangos Book). I say this because almost everyone owns it and so you would be on common ground. The Anthology book mentioned above has a lot of great tunes but not as many people have the book and so you wont intersect with other players as well in jams.