DjangoBooks.com

Using thin picks

BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
edited November 2007 in Gypsy Fire Posts: 1,379
Hi Andreas,
I remember from watching you play at DFLA that you use fairly thin plastic picks.
It inspired me to start experimenting, and I've put down my Wegen in favor of a .73 Dunlop and been pretty happy with the results, less "clicking" noise, bright tone and good control.
Cons are a thinner sound, less volume and quicker wear.

I just have a few questions:
-What are the pros/cons you have found with thin plastic picks over fat ones?
-What gauge/brand/material are you using now?
-Do you play with the tip or the round end?
-Do you have any problems with volume when playing in unamplified jams?
-Do you use the same pick on electric?
-Do you ever miss the fatter tone of thicker picks?

I appreciate any info you can share on this topic.
Thanks.
Enrique.
PS. Any word on your "Gypsy bop" book??

Comments

• AndreasObergAndreasOberg Stockholm,SwedenModerator
    Hi Enrique,
    I hope you're well, here comes my answers to your questions.

1. I prefer plastic picks like the Dunlop ones because they give more tone and less clicks and pick noises. If you have power in your right hand, you'll have plenty of volume anyway. It's a matter of taste but I don't really like the sound of really thick picks but they give a lot of volume and obviously work fine for a lot of players.

2. I use the purple Dunlop 1,5 mm pick. They are still quite hard but not very thick AND they are CHEAP too and very easy to find and replace if you lose one.

3. I play with the tip but I've seen players like Matcho Winterstein (loudest player around along with Moreno) using the round end of a Dunlop.

4. I don't have any problems with being heard in acoustic jams. I'm used to playing/jamming acoustically.

5. I can use the same ones but on electric I prefer even thinner ones like the yellow or pink Dunlops.

6. The answer is no. My ideal acoustic sound in gypsy style is the sound you'll hear from Bireli, Wawau and Samson Schmitt. All of these players are using regular plastic picks.

Regards from the Pacific Ocean (New Caledonia)
    Andreas

ps. I'm working on the book right now but I've been busy with a lot of touring lately.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Hi Andreas I hope you're well too,
    Thank you so much for your response, and answering every question so thoroughly.
    Very nice.
    Good luck with the tours and hope to see you again soon.

When the new book is ready count me in for a copy, I loooved Gypsy fire.
    All my best to you,
    Thanks.
    Enrique.