DjangoBooks.com

What about this guitar?

Hi,

This friend of mine is selling two Dupont limited edition. I am thinking about buying one from him. We are not living on the same continent and I can't wait to try it in a couple of months. But so far, do you think such a limited edition and combination of wood would create a good sound? I have heard bad things about Dupont guitars that are not top of the line, I would think that limited editions receive better attention than regular MD 50 and below....
This friend told me that some of the features of this guitar are the same as the much more expensive Vieille Reserve models...
Thank you for giving me your ideas and feedback about these nice guitars

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Oh..those are the SLOG series, right? Serie limite oldies guitars.
    I bet they are great!!! They look gorgeous too!
    I also bet most other Duponts are great as well, be it a MD100 or a VR...there's a reason why most other brands say "as good as a Dupont" and such...

Play it first and if the price's right...go for it
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I would say go for a stock MD-50, which feels different than a Veille reserve. I cant tell if that custom dupont would feel like a veille or like an md50. that would be a piece of information that i would get first before you consider buying it. I would say a stock md-50, unaltered, from 2006 or later, would be my choice over that custom guitar, but thats my personal opinion and other people would vary.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Aside from only 32 Slog guitars to ever be made, here's what's different between the SLOG and regular MD50:
    http://www.oldies-guitars.com/dupont.htm
    Placage fond et éclisses en Palissandre de Rio sélectionné ou érable moucheté sélectionné. Mecaniques DM à l'ancienne type Selmer. Table pliée comme sur la Vielle réserve. Vernis et filets vintage de Vielle Réserve.
    I don't speak perfect french but I think this is the gist of it:
    -Choice woods for the back/sides, brazilian rosewood or maple.
    -DM tuners
    -"cranked" top as in the VR
    -Finish and bindings as in the VR

So basically it's a VR (well...close), but with new wood instead of the decades old that Dupont uses for his top model.

It would depend on how much it goes for.
    It says 3900 euros new, but I guess without the VAT it should go for about $4500+ US dollars...so that's a thousand more than the regular MD 50 and $3000 less than the VR.
    Tuners alone are around $300, so you're paying $700 or less than that for premium wood, the top crank and the french polish, plus maple and brazilian rosewood models are more expensive ($3750) than the regular indian rosewood MD 50, and it is a collectors item on top of that.

Not too bad but.... this is just math...play it and then you'll know if it's worth it...or not.
    Good luck!!