DjangoBooks.com

Advice for Cigano GJ-15 Setup

Hi All,

I'm new to GJ and based on what I have read on the forum, it seems like the Cigano GJ-15 would be a good place for me to start, as far as getting a guitar specifically suited to the style. I have seen several recommendations regarding leather under the tail piece, fret leveling, professional setup, etc. Obviously the helpful people that have posted these ideas know much more about this than I do, and I want to make sure I get things right. When I add the guitar to my cart and check the options for professional setup, fret leveling, improved tuners, the DR tailpiece, and a hard case, the price ends up north of $700. That's definitely a little more than I am able to shell out at this time.

What are the bare essentials? Is it possible to trim down the list of extras? Or should I just wait until I have the cash to do it all-out?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• lmntrylmntry Portland , Oregon✭✭✭✭
    Hi:
    I picked one of those up about 6 months ago.

The guitar was ready to go right out of the box !

I didn't add a thing to it......a local luthier checked it over and it was all in order . (truss rod , frets etc.)
    In fact I was so impressed with the guitar that I used it for the next 3 or 4 months for all my gigs.

Great tone and volume.....$300 ! go figure :roll:

David
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    A friend of mine got one of these and it was fine right out of the box. I think Josh checks the guitar and only does what needs to be done, so it might not cost you all that much more, but why not play it first and see how you like it? You can always add an upgraded tailpiece later yourself. And Josh can make a bridge and ship it to you if you decide you need one (He did that for my Jorgenson). Spend the money on Gypsy Picking and a Wegen (or other gypsy-style) pick instead. Those two items will help your sound more than anything...them and a few thousand hours of practice! :wink:
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.