DjangoBooks.com

gonzalo's CD

dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
edited January 2008 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 2,161
hey folks

i know someone already posted a review about his CD, but I just got a whole box of em (Im bringing him over to Montreal next month) - and btw if montrealers want the CD, contact me...

Anyway, this CD is really special. In my opinion, one of the very best in the style. The compositions are really unique and extremely beautiful. His playing on the CD is beyond top notch, really the perfect blend of musicality and chops... not only that, he also plays around with dynamics and articulation (staccato phrasing, beautiful bends, etc...) , something that very few players think about ...

The arrangements are really well thought out too. You can tell he worked his ass off!

Gypsy or not, this guy is really special. Be sure to pick up a copy, I think djangobooks has it

Furthermore, I must say I have tremendous respect for a guy who is willing to play nothing but rhythm... That is really the key to understanding and mastering this music... It is a really difficult job and takes an insane amount of humility!

Here's a youtube video of us with my students two years ago, jamming at 4 am :

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I second that...this is a great CD and definitely not the same old same old...

Funny...I remember sending Gonzalo a copy of Gypsy Picking back in 2003! What a long way he's come....

• gonegone New
    hhhhhhhhhhhhahahhhhhhhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaah i had never seen that video before!!!!
    No more drinking for me!!!!! I had a great time in Montreal with Master Dennis and his friends!!!! Looking forward to february

Yes GYPSY PICKING was a big help for me, BIG BIG BIG, that book is a must for all of us!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks michael for writing it!!!!! I owe you a lot more than just writing this, but i don´t have any money!!!!! = )
    Zouny1