DjangoBooks.com

Triste Mélodie/Le Dernier Soir

François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
edited June 2008 in Repertoire Posts: 294
Hi everybody,

At the back of a Georges Ulmer music sheet I have noticed that the publisher of the tune (Les Editions Robert Salvet) was advertising for some other music sheets of the repertoire of various artists including Django Reinhardt ("Jimmy's Bar", "Triste Mélodie", "Si tu Savais" and "Le Dernier Soir") and Joseph Reinhardt ("Odette", "Un peu de Rêve").
Surprisingly the 2 tunes "Triste Mélodie" and "Le Dernier Soir" appear also as belonging also to the repertoire of a singer called Odette PACOU.
Are there any recording of "Triste Mélodie" or "Le Dernier Soir" by Django Reinhardt?
Does any of you have some informations about these tunes? about Odette Pacou?

Best regards

François RAVEZ

Comments

• nwilkinsnwilkins New
    I don't know of any Django versions, but I seem to remember having a version of Joseph Reinhardt playing Triste Melodie.
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Hi,

I asked Jean-Pierre Guiran about this. He is the man who exhumed the old Texts of Djangos tunes "Swing 42", "Billets Doux", "Nuages", "Tears", "Swing 39", "Melodie au Crepuscule", "Douce ambiance" and "Manoir de mes reves" for the Orkest-Polytour CD: "Django Chanté".

I hope that he ´ll can help.

Best

Barengero
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    nwilkins wrote:
    I don't know of any Django versions, but I seem to remember having a version of Joseph Reinhardt playing Triste Melodie.

Yes, this one is recorded on Joseph Reinhardts LP "Joseph Reinhardt joue pour Django", SIMM LP 192. It is declared as a composition of "J. Reinhardt" on the back of the LP. :shock:

Best

Barengero
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    I think "Triste Melodie" is Joseph's best composition and there is no evidence that Django ever recorded it. I am not actually sure whether it was composed before or after Django died. Perhaps Scot knows.

There are no known recordings of Django playing "Le Dernier Soir" either.
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    I think "Triste Melodie" is Joseph's best composition and there is no evidence that Django ever recorded it. I am not actually sure whether it was composed before or after Django died. Perhaps Scot knows.

I was wondering if this "Melodie" of Joseph's(which i agree is a beautiful tune) is the cause of confusion over the claim that he wrote "Melodie" de Crepuscule"-- interesting that Djangos "melodie de Crepscule" is on the same Joseph record credited to Django(which is surely correct).
    Stu
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    Thanks a lot to everybody,

It seems that Joseph Reinhardt recorded at least "Triste Mélodie" twice (after Django's death), "Un peu de Rêve" once (1943, according to Michael Dregni's book) and "Le Dernier Soir" once with an unknown (?) female singer.
    Now the music sheet at the back of which I have read this add was printed in 1946.
    It seems to indicate that even if he never recorded them Django played "Triste Mélodie" and "Le Dernier Soir" (and also that he played "Si Tu Savais" before he recorded it in 1947).

Best regards

François RAVEZ
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    stubla wrote:

I was wondering if this "Melodie" of Joseph's(which i agree is a beautiful tune) is the cause of confusion over the claim that he wrote "Melodie" de Crepuscule"

I've had this on my mind lately myself; good point, Stu-and it didn't involve pick direction! I kid because I love.

Best,
    Jack.
  • ukeboxukebox Nearly stableNew
    When I heard 1918's "Just A Baby's Prayer At Twilight" I heard the building blocks of "Melodie au crepscule." The WWI weeper sounds like it could have been dropped on the floor and pieced back together as the Quintette's dreamy instrumental. You should listen to the Henry Burr recording. I feel sure Django had this record.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/audio/just ... ilight.htm