DjangoBooks.com

Zone DVD Question

WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
edited January 2008 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 221
I'd like to see the new Jimmy or Joscho dvds, but they are "Zone 2." Will that play in the US?

Thanks

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Zone 2 won't play on a US DVD player. It will work on any computer DVD drive so that's what most people do.

'm
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if this is relevant, but a music shop in my town is selling the Don't Look Back box set in PAL format with a sticker on the front suggesting buyers look at this address to 'unlock' their DVD player:
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

I don't know the technical differences (if any) between PAL/NTSC vs. zones, but depending on your player, it seems you might be able to unlock it to play discs meant for other zones. There's been a few threads about this sort of thing here and at hotclub.co.uk over the years, some with recommendations of cheap players that seem to play everything. This is an example for the dvd player I own, though I haven't tried it:
    Multi Region Hack
    1. Power on the player with no disk in the drive
    2. Press "PAUSE" on the remote
    3. Enter "3 1 4 1 5 9" on the remote (the word COdE appears on the display)
    4. Enter "0" on the remote (0 = All Regions, 1 = Region 1, 2 = Region 2, etc.)
    5. Press "PAUSE" on the remote
    6. Power the player off and then back on

good luck,
    Jack.
  • WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
    Thanks again for the aide. Unfortunately I only have a PS2 as a dvd player (sad, yes I know).

If I get a real dvd player I'll try out that method sometime. Until then, PS3 ownership is a mirage upon the horizon

cheers & best,