DjangoBooks.com

HCSF - Silent Surrealism

TimmyHawkenTimmyHawken Lansing,MINew
edited January 2008 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 118
I just caught Hot Club of San Fransisco's Silent Surrealism show, it was great! if you haven't heard of it, it's four somewhat obscure silent films from the 1920's and 30's with the HCSF providing live music to go with the films.

The first two films are by a guy named Charles R Bowers and are really quite amazing. He really was very innovative with mixing film and animation with his bizarre comedy. The films are pretty amazing and makes you wonder why haven't you heard of Charles R Bowers before.

The way HCSF gives a live soundtrack is really nice, it was really an extraordinary show. I recommend that you see it if you have the chance.

Tim

Comments

• WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
    I agree if this show comes around to your city it is a must see. I caught the show about 2 or 3 years ago in a very close quarters theater and was just bombarded with beautiful music. I loved it. They did may tunes that aren't in the usual jam circles which were refreshing to hear & they performed them as the best versions I'd ever heard those tunes (Speevy, Bolero are tunes that come to mind)

Paul had absolutely amazing arrangements and the band was just perfect that day. I believe the band was Paul, Evan, Ari, and Jason. It was a very moving show and the silent films were unique and worth watching.
  • Matt MitchellMatt Mitchell ✭✭✭
    HCSF just came to Tucson and did a similar show. It was outstanding. Paul's style is wonderful, not super-flashy and very few mistakes. The concert had wonderful sound. Not sure why Paul and HCSF have had such a low profile in the resurgence of this music in the past 10 years...
  • lostjohnlostjohn Charleston, WV✭✭ Altamira M01
    I'm going to see HCSF at Carnegie Hall in Lewisburg, WV next Saturday night. They're doing a show they call "Meet Me In Paris" with Isabelle Fontaine on vocals. Really stoked for it! My first live GJ performance.
    You're right, Matt. I don't see or hear a lot about Paul or the band in general, which I don't understand. Along that line, I was listening to John Jorgensen the other day. I hadn't listened to him a lot since I've become somewhat obsessed with GJ and have been listening to a lot of great players that I wasn't familiar with until recently. It made me realize what an awesome player he is, and I don't see much about him either. It seems to me that the American players don't get a lot of attention on this forum.
    Not saying that is good or bad-just something I've noticed.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    My Django Reinhardt Radio on Pandora plays tons of HCSF and I absolutely love almost every tune. I believe they do a lot of originals which sound very authentic as I don't hear the same tunes from anybody else. I did see the HCSF Xmas show last December, and I enjoyed it, but wouldn't see it again. Paul is a smooth guitarist but the rhythm was almost overwhelming, lacking the "crunch" of Gonzalo or Romane, for example. They did have two rhythm guitarists that night. Isabelle is a great vocalist.
  • MacKeaganMacKeagan
    Just caught HCSF "cinema vivant" show at the Cary (newly renovated in downtown Cary NC) --nicely done. Isabelle's vocals were grand, and the balance between the rhythm guitars and the other instruments seems to have been worked out. Highly recommended.
    I love how they cover a lot of Monk's tunes.
    I too get to hear a lot their stuff through Pandora but have to admit not to listen to them otherwise. I'd love to catch the live show though, if they come around Chicago.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel