DjangoBooks.com

New DVD: Jimmy Rosenberg at the Bimhuis DVD (Zone 2)

2»

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hey Barr,

I think what Michael is saying is just that Jimmy (or whoever) decided not to license the rights for the US zone...it's sort of a similar idea (I think) to Beta vs. VHS or the HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray thing; it's cheaper to just make one version. If the artist is losing dough, I think it's more due to the people making dvd players that won't play those discs. My guess is that Jimmy would love more US people having his stuff.

Are we going to see you up in Mass for Django in June this year??

best,
    Jack.
  • HCPhillyHCPhilly Phila. PA✭✭✭✭
    Jack wrote:
    Hey Barr,

I think what Michael is saying is just that Jimmy (or whoever) decided not to license the rights for the US zone...it's sort of a similar idea (I think) to Beta vs. VHS or the HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray thing; it's cheaper to just make one version. If the artist is losing dough, I think it's more due to the people making dvd players that won't play those discs. My guess is that Jimmy would love more US people having his stuff.

I don't know about that. I was addressing the general popular
    idea that producers of music, films and books are somehow
    wrong for wanting to get paid for their work. The artist in many cases didn't put up the money to distribute and produce CD's and DVD,
    [Many of us have, of course]. the original comment was something like, it's probably all about money. Sorry, but that just sounds ignorant to me. Doctors and lawyers work or license their intellectual property for money. case in point;
    two of my friends are filmakers, and I've seen the struggles that they have gone thru to get films made. One of them produced a documentary
    on Klezmer music that has won a few awards and has been shown on PBS,
    etc. She had to get a grant to produce it, and I doubt that she has made much from the project. It just seems odd to me that peolpe feel entitled to get their art for free, but they'll pay $2.50 for coffee.

"Are we going to see you up in Mass for Django in June this year?"

We're going to try to support you,
    [Manouche Guitars, that is]. Speaking of starving artists, we at Manouche have put up our own money to support festivals in the past, and we will be involved at the Lincoln Center show in July. We try to do it as mucha s we can. I have a performance scheduled on the weekend, but I'll try to be there earlier in the week if I can.

All the best,
    Barry
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Jeremy wrote:

Will the ones you have work on DVD players in North America?

No, they only made this DVD in PAL Zone 2.
    On Jimmy's site when you order you can choose within Europe or out of Europe. I'm not sure if this affects the zone of the DVD they send

No, it doesn't because there's only the Zone 2 available.
    it may just be that my DVD player can play DVDs from different zones.

Lucky you! that must be the case because they most certainly did not make a Zone 1 version. Look at your DVD case, it should say PAL Zone 2.

'm
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    It just seems odd to me that peolpe feel entitled to get their art for free, but they'll pay $2.50 for coffee.

Trying to determine the commodity price and ownership for music or let's say "cultural artifacts" has a chilling effect on the billions of folks who are playing, teaching, sharing, and copying music. If Django had had to "pay to play" its easy to say that there would have been no Django.

I can imagine a world where 1. soon, virtually every transaction will be priced, or 2. a world where coffee pickers don't have to pay for their music and the coffee is distributed equitably to all.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • HCPhillyHCPhilly Phila. PA✭✭✭✭
    Jeff Moore wrote:
    It just seems odd to me that peolpe feel entitled to get their art for free, but they'll pay $2.50 for coffee.

"Trying to determine the commodity price and ownership for music or let's say "cultural artifacts" has a chilling effect on the billions of folks who are playing, teaching, sharing, and copying music. If Django had had to "pay to play" its easy to say that there would have been no Django."

Wow,
    You totally lost me here. Usually the artist or writer is just trying to get paid for their intellectual property]. I'm really not sure what you're trying to say.
    How about this;

Here's my premise for an example, [I'm going to use Michael Horowitz in my example, so Mike, please feel free to chime in].

Premise; a scholarly musician like our friend Michael goes and writes a book on Gypsy Picking. But instead of a lot of folks buying the book,
    someone just scans the whole book and puts it on the Internet and a couple of thousand people get the pirated book for free on-line. Result;
    Michael wouldn't have much incentive to write more books.
    This is of course hypothetical. I mention this example because a lot of people seem to feel that it's ok to pirate entire works such as a book or CD, [rather than using a licensed service like iTunes that pays the artist royalties. I really don't have a lot of time to argue this, [especially because I'm a full-time musician]. Anyhow, maybe you'd take a minute to respond to my example, specifically, not in say imaginary Utopian
    terms 8)
    All the best,
    Barry
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    HCPhilly wrote:
    Premise; a scholarly musician like our friend Michael goes and writes a book on Gypsy Picking. But instead of a lot of folks buying the book,
    someone just scans the whole book and puts it on the Internet and a couple of thousand people get the pirated book for free on-line. Result;
    Michael wouldn't have much incentive to write more books.
    This is of course hypothetical.

This actually happened! Michael was forced to get his lawyer involved, and the site that was offering his work for free (alongside the work of many of the artists we love) was shut down. You can read a bit about it here.

Good example, Barr!

best,
    Jack.