DjangoBooks.com

Converting WMA to MP3

CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
edited June 2008 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 557
Hey guys, I have been trying for a while to get this done and have come to nothing but dead ends. My old computer died a few months ago and I recently bought a Macbook. I had a friend of mine get all my old music off of my hard drive and put it on three DVDs. so now I have neatly indexed discs of all my music from my old computer and they are all in WMA format I guess because they were all in Windows media player and I was synching them to an i River. Now I am trying to put them on my Mac in iTunes so I can put them on my Ipod. I know this might not be the right place for this question but does any one know of a way to convert these on my Mac? I have found a lot of free ware that does this for PC, but everytime I find something for MAc it doesn't work. I thought maybe someone here might have some experience with this. Any help would be appreciated.
Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hey Cale,

There's this ($10):
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23003

I've also heard some people mention Switch:
    http://www.nch.com.au/switch/switchmac.zip
    There's a little walkthrough here.

Or just borrow a pc for a few hours...

best,
    Jack.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Jack- Thanks man. I have found both of those. I can't get switch to work I can get it to look like it is working and I thought it was working but then when it was done it didn't work. I guess I may have to buy the 10 dollar one. I figured I could do it on the cheap it seems like an easy process doesn't it? oh well. I guess I will either have to use a PC or buy something I guess I could call my friend who got the files in the first place that would probably be best.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
    Hi,

If you have Cubase, you can create 1) a new project, 2) import the wma file as an audio file, 3) then do an audio mixdown & save what you imported into an mp3 format. This would take a very long time with multiple tunes as you'd have to do each tune individually, but for a few tunes it's an easy way.

Another thing that might work is some called "Media Widget" it's about 20 bucks and when my PC computer died I used it to retrieve tunes from my ipods to place them back into my PC / Itunes. The Widget even retrieves any tunes from the last time you completely erased your ipod (apparently there are ghost files within the ipod that can be revived).
    I used the trial version which worked great for free.

The website for the widget is:

http://www.bootstrapdevelopment.com/sho ... t.aspx?t=b

Good luck !
  • AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    A totally free way to do it is to download two freeware programs - Goldwave and LAME. You need to copy the LAME .dll into the Goldwave program file

Open the .wma in Goldwave and then just save as .mp3 :)
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    if I'm not mistaken, iTunes will convert wma to whatever your default library encoding is for you. Just drag the files into your iTunes library.

Correction: the PC version of iTunes does this, but the mac one does not.