DjangoBooks.com

soloing

nutloafnutloaf WalesNew
edited March 2008 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 85
Where do you start? I've spent the last year and a half learning the rest stroke, a couple of Django solos namely swinging with Django, Dinah and Nagasaki. I have also learnt a couple of Stochelo and Bireli licks. But when it comes down to having a jam and the solo I've learnt runs out so to speak I don't know what to play.I've learnt the arpeggios in the gypsy picking book but there must be more.Here are 2 examples that seem to come up a lot is it right that these fit over a D7 chord?

E--------------8-----10----
B-----------7--------10---
G-----------7------9-------
D-----------7--------10----
A--5--------7---8--9-----
E------------------------

E-------------8-------10---
A-------------8-------10----
G----------7--8-------------
D----------7----------10----
A---5-----7-----9----------
E---------------------------- Is there anything in the unacompanied book that might be of use or are the books that teach the ii-V-I any use?
Don't stare at the stinking finger, or you will miss all the heavenly glory.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I'd move on to the Gypsy Fire book and learn all the arps, ii-v-i, and other licks in there. And also transcribe a lot of Django.

'm
  • nutloafnutloaf WalesNew
    Thanks michael I was going to buy the gypsy rhythm book as my knowledge of chord shapes is below par. I'd forgoten about the Gypsy Fire book.Maybee you could use your Gypsy connections to organise a competition in which the winner could spend 2 years studying the technique, should'nt be too hard!
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2008 Posts: 325
    edit: double post
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    You're doing the right thing by transcribing. I think the next step would be to get some kind of backing tracks to work with or use band in a box so you can start noodling your ideas with a rhythm section, and experimenting with using them in different songs.

Band in a box, while it's a total disaster in terms of UI, is nice in that you can loop it forever, and it highlights the chords in real time which really drives them into your head.

Also, to add something new to the typical "practice practice practice mantra" there are some "brain hacks" I use to keep sharp:

-Learn new concepts/licks 30 minutes before you go to bed. Your neurons will rewire themselves while you sleep. When you wake up, revisit those ideas. They will immediately come quicker.

-Regularity: Commit to something manageable like 20 minutes per day rather than a 5 hour marathon session once a week.

-Think geometrically: the brain is all about visuals and memory. You know how it's easier to remember someone's name when you make a goofy picture in your head? Same goes for music. If you can assign some kind of visual association to a musical idea, then you'll retain it better. The fretboard is very geometric and visual! Picture it in your head as you learn things.
  • nutloafnutloaf WalesNew
    Thanks guys