DjangoBooks.com

Venezuelan Gypsy Picking!

MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
edited December 2008 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 6,153
This is a video of Cheo Hurtado playing the Bandola Guyanese with what is pretty much the same rest stroke picking technique that Sinti guitarists use. I've been a big fan of Cheo Hurtado, and Venezuelan Jorpo music in general, for years and always figured he used some variation of rest stroke picking. Cool to finally see him in action!

Comments

Cool!

Just a casual observation ... it seems like the rest-stroke would be popular among acoustic musicians playing in dance-hall situations. Are there any plectrum instruments in classical music that utilize the rest stroke?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Cool!

Just a casual observation ... it seems like the rest-stroke would be popular among acoustic musicians playing in dance-hall situations.

Just about every string instrument around the world is played using some variation of the rest stroke technique. Oud, Tres, bozouki, bandola, etc, etc.

Are there any plectrum instruments in classical music that utilize the rest stroke?

the Mandolin...

'm
    So it's been developed across the board for plectrum instruments in most cultures? Awesome!
  • Matthias LenzMatthias Lenz Lucklum, GermanyNew
    I really enjoyed watching this guy playing the oud...
    what a fantastic right hand !
    I think it´d be very nice to see some more video footage of rest-stroke picking technique used on different instruments...

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    here is another fun one that I like watching. I would love to buy one of those instruments but I don't know anything about them and I wouldn't want to get screwed.

• Matthias LenzMatthias Lenz Lucklum, GermanyNew
    Hey Djangology,

that is exactly the clip that turned me on to the one that I posted.

I really like this instrument (and sometimes fantasize what it would sound like when played with a Wegen Fatone Pick...hehehe...typical guitar player´s comment I guess)

I googled the oud a bit and found out that there are some that are quite affordable (found one for 250 Euros), but then again, like you I don´t know anything about them....Most likely it´s a price range similar to acoustic guitars, starting at a very low budget and going up to thousands for high quality instruments. Who knows ?

What I like especially is the absence of frets and the vast amount of intervals available. Hearing these scales makes my mind travel to distant places, propably leading back to the Indian origins of Gypsies and Gypsy music...
  • DrSnyderDrSnyder New
    I've been to Syria and bought myself an oud. Funny but difficult instrument. It takes a while to get used to the fretless finger board.

I got mine with fairly good quality for 100 bucks in Germany I would have paid for the same thing more than twice the price.
  • treserotresero New
    check out Pancho Amat on the Tres, considered by many to be the greatest living Tresero. I think of him as the Bireli Lagrene of the Tres. This is a collection of a few of his solos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBggYZcRs_A