DjangoBooks.com

How to best use this book

randomrandom New
edited June 2008 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 6
Whilst I admire all the work that went into this book and its apparent encyclopedic comprehensiveness, I have trouble organising my learning around it - is the idea that you work through every exercise one after the other (but then where/when do you apply it), or are there specific sections where you should and others where you don't need to but may try once you get "bored" with the chords you've so far used?

thanks

Jan

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Jan,

I would pick one of the La Pompe styles that you like the best and really get that down. Then, learn all the basic version of every song. Once you can do that well, start studying the Intermediate and Advanced version as well.

And you can also slowly memorize different turn arounds and ii-Vs. Just take one at a time and practice using them in many different song.

Good luck!

'm
  • arnolloarnollo New
    I myself find it best used as a reference book.
    Sometimes i will try to learn a new turnaround and will imadiately try to play it over different songs. i will mix that with lots of other works, but this is definately nice to looks at the book when i'm stuck with the same ideas od bass progressions, or turnarounds. The advanced transcriptions are great to apply what's on the book too. I find myself parts of what i learned over a few song..
    What i mean is that i definately can't imagine someone work on the book from page 1 to the end. I feel you must take a bit you like and hen try to incorporate it in the way you play, then look at the book again.
    I use it more like a bunch of great ideas that i want to assimilate.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    arnollo wrote:
    I myself find it best used as a reference book.

Perfect!

'm