DjangoBooks.com

Wegen Killer

pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
edited April 2008 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 140
While attending NAMM this past Winter, I discovered a new pick that I am now exclusively using for my gypsy jazz playing. Check out www.v-picks.com. See the "acoustic" version. It is made of a clear acrylic type material with a beveled edge similar to the Dugain pick. The material glides over strings very smoothly and it really does seem to improve speed. Volume is great and it also fattens up the high strings during solos. I have shared the pick with others during jamming sessions and almost everybody feels a positive difference right away. Highly recommended. Other feedback appreciated.

See this video link for a comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwKTGRJsNgU
I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!

Comments

Interesting!

Since it's clear, can you find it when you drop it?
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    It is silvery and can be seen in a lighted area -- but can be a problem in a dark setting.
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
    What model are you using? They have tons of options...
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    NOT! If you pick hard like I do, the last you you want is for a sharp tipped pick to be hitting the top of your guitar with a jagged point when you pick the high-E string. It would eat through my pickguard in probably only a few months.

I'll skip that pick although the material is pretty cool looking...
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Jon, you just need the right pickguard ;-)

http://home.gci.net/~jwcustom/
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    The model that I am using is the regular "acoustic" pick. Scroll down the page of options and you will see it about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. They also make a "lite" version which may be more suitable for electric jazz. I think I paid about $4 for the pick -- and they give you reduced shipping if you buy a couple or so. Since all of us invest more than that to try out new sets of strings, etc., I think the improvement you will experience will have more positive impact on your playing than any other similar investment. I would never go back to my Wegen picks (and I have many of them) after using this pick.

Re/ the sharp point: I play hard and use an aggressive rest stroke and my Shelley Park remains scratch free. If your picking style causes you to actually hit the top of your guitar, I think you are going to get scratches with any hard pick, no matter what the point looks like. And you can always file down the point if you believe otherwise.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    yeah, i don't hit the top all the time, only in certain situations, but its enough that my static mylar pickguard is almost worn through after a few years. the top of my guitar itself is ok but if I were to play with a pick that was rougher on the top, that probably wouldn't be good. I have a Hommage and a Park and the Hommage is a bit higher string clearance , which I have grown accustomed to and so I tap the top a lot when I play my Park because I am used to the Hommage.
    Jon, you just need the right pickguard
    lol