DjangoBooks.com

Unknown Guitarist

Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
edited October 2011 in History Posts: 1,262
Are these two photos of the same man? The outside ones are the same photo with slight modifications to try to improve the clarity.

Comments

• spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Yes that's the same man Sir Teddy
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    thats a tough one. i have to say that I cant tell at all...
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    spatzo wrote:
    Yes that's the same man Sir Teddy
    ....Which would mean the guitarist far right in the photo below is Eugene Vees and not Challain Ferret as Jazz Hot stated (obviously wrong) or Joseph Reinhardt as a very famous expert insists (again obviously wrong).
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    It is Eugene Vees absolutely for me
    Papi has made the quite brilliant observation that the photo above was taken at the same time and place as the one below which means the bass player is Tony Rovira and the guy behind Grappelli below is Baro Ferret.
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    believe it or not that exactly what I thought five minutes ago !!!
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for necroing the thread but here is a much higher quality copy of that first photo. Perhaps it'll be of help.

Yes that high quality photo emerged a couple of years ago and the guitarist is definitely Eugene Vees.
  • I would say the left and right are the same. Not so sure of teh middle though as the eyebrows in the middle pic have a sort of peak in the top. side pics are too blurry to compare ears which are always a dead giveaway
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • MitchMitch Paris, Jazz manouche's capital city!✭✭✭✭ Di Mauro, Lebreton, Castelluccia, Patenotte, Gallato
    I still have a doubt about than man being Eugène Vées guys!

Look at these big smliling cheeks, and eyebrows, it does'nt match with Eugène Véés. The eyes and hair implantation don't look the same either. Vées has a thick and square jaw and his ears goes from eyes to upper lip.
    This guys ears are high on face, from eyebrow to lower part of the those and he looks taller than Vées (but I admit there is a perspective effect)

This can't be Challain Ferret morover he was left-handed.

Maybe Tony Weiss or someone else?

It can be hard to tell, even Django can look so different from a pic to another :?: