DjangoBooks.com

Jazz.com Review: Adrien Moignard, Impressions

Bill BarnesBill Barnes New HampshireNew
edited May 2008 in Welcome Posts: 63
I do a little freelance writing on occasion and have recently been contracted by Jazz.com to write album track reviews, articles and interviews. I had picked Adrien's Impressions to be my very first review with them!

Here's the link: http://www.jazz.com/music/2008/5/11/adr ... mpressions

Just trying to help spread the word on this phenomenal recording!

P.S. Meant to post this in the Selmer 607 thread...oops.
Bill
www.billbarnestrio.com
"Listen to this, it speaks like a cathedral!"- Django, on the Selmer (from Michael Dregni's Django, the Life and Music of a Gypsy Legend)

Comments

Cool!

I had to look up educe. 8)
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    "this kid is not phoning it in."

Yes... that's the feeling I get when listening to Selmer 607. These guys are bringing something of themselves to the music while respecting the music itself. It's easy to get in the pattern of doting on the music and becoming a player piano full of licks warmed over elsewhere - or moving outside of the genre in the name of evolving it. It is far tougher to evolve within a genre... accepting the fundamental principles and working within them in a new way. Doing that demonstrates a level of mastery most of us will never achieve but it does my heart a lot of good to see these guys helping to write the next chapter in the genre. I was commenting to an acquaintence recently that I felt that there was a groundswell of young talent and that within the next few years there was the potential to see - not just a thriving traditional Gypsy Jazz scene, but an evolving one. Where it takes the music, time will tell - but it's an exciting time.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Bill BarnesBill Barnes New HampshireNew
    Thanks, Chris. Bob, you're dead on about this new batch of players. I reviewed the track because, as extraordinary as this album really is, these are tough times to be a musician and especially to sell records. The mainstream jazz market (whatever the crap that has become) may never give these guys a proper listen- and that would be a bleedin' shame.
    Bill
    www.billbarnestrio.com
    "Listen to this, it speaks like a cathedral!"- Django, on the Selmer (from Michael Dregni's Django, the Life and Music of a Gypsy Legend)
  • Pugs47Pugs47 New
    Hi Bill,
    If you contact Ben Wood, on this group, he has a video he shot, I think in 2004, in the Samois Camps.
    There's Adrien and Sebastian burning on Impressions! Maybe he can post it.
    Definitely the nascent underpinnings of his new Selmer CD cut.
    Your name sounds awfully familiar. I wrote for Green Mountain Jazz Messenger and Jazz Improv back in the late 90s early 2ks.
    Nice to have another jazzer here.
    Ernie
  • Bill BarnesBill Barnes New HampshireNew
    Thanks Ernie, I'll check it out. Great to meet you, a fellow bopper who writes. I'm not familiar with the Green Mountain Jazz Messenger, but Jazz Improv is a wonderful mag.

All the best,
    Bill
    www.billbarnestrio.com