DjangoBooks.com

Amp settings for pickup

ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
I recently purchased a Stimer48 pickup through Michaels shop (many, many thanks Michael!) and I have been toying around with the amp settings to get a premium tone out of it. So far the sound quality is superb and the string to string balance is excellent. I have heard some people say the B & e strings are quite a bit louder, but that doesn't seem to be true with the pickup Michael sent me.

Anyhow, for those of you who own a Stimer, what settings do you us on your amps? I own a Fender 60Watt Princeton Chorus, and have the Treble knob at 10, the mid at 5, the bass at 6 or 7, and the chorus knob around 1 or 2. With these settings it sounds pretty good, but I don't think I'm yet getting "that" sound out of it.

Maybe I just need to purchase a Tubescreamer or considering the fact I haven't played electrically for over 5 years, maybe my brain is not accustomed to the sound. Any ideas?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Personally, I like really low mids. I often just turn the mids all the way off, keep the treble at 12 o'clock, and maybe the bass at 10 o'clock. Works on a lot of amps for me....but every amp is different so I don't know if this will work for you.

'm
  • ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    It's worth a try. I guess after those years of playing electric archtops I have developed a penchant for turning everything up too high. I'm really pleased with the Stimer though...much better than I even expected!
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    I play mine thru a Blues Jr. that I moded and I like the tone of those Stimers. It's hard to get a tone that is bad. The only thing that is hard for me is how quickly the tones decay. It sounds like they could be longer and then they just go out real fast. But that is me getting used to playing with the pickup.

Cheers,
    Josh