DjangoBooks.com

QUESTION ?

edited May 2008 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 193
Hee. :D

I got my book by stephan wrembel and I'm learning positions (are these called progressions) for the Minor swing song (Am6 Dm6 E7). Is it right the Improvising is learning the possitions of a chord (Am6) inside out and the playing them over a tune (with melody)? Or does improvising work different? Is it important to know the names of chords ? Can somebody explain a bit how improvising works if I dont had it right ? :D

DjangoDjango

Comments

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    Yes, it is very important to follow the chords in playing gypsy jazz. At minimum, make sure you can follow each individual chord in the song "Minor Swing". Learn and use Stephanes patterns exactly like he says in the book. (TIP: the min6th (Dorian) scale fits nicely with the minor patterns that Stephane shows in his book and also works nicely over min7b5 and M9 chords.) Learn Djangos solo for Minor Swing (by heart) and learn your licks from that. Consider getting Dennis' DVDs since I expect they would save you a lot of time and effort. Finally, never assume you play rhythm correctly.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Playing the chord progression's arpeggios (Chords but each note is played individually) is a good way to begin.

I second the Denis Chang's DVDs suggestion, they will have you playing in no time!
    Thanks djangology and BluesBop Harry.

Good tip djangology :D (where can i find the correct solo by django reinhardt, im always finding wierd ones:?).

I heard allot about arpeggios (im gonna try some), Are licks a line of notes always played the same (like the Rosenberg Lick:D) ?

ooh, another question . I have a really cheap guitar (a richwood) , which type of Argentinez strings should I get if i break one. The medium of the strong ones ? :D

THANKS !! :D
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Here are a couple links for some tabs:

http://jazz.chansons.free.fr/guitarejazz2.htm

http://www.hotclub.co.uk/ptab/powertab.html

Here is a file with the Minor Swing tab: