DjangoBooks.com

Just Ordered Gypsy Picking: Shipping Information

Stamos666Stamos666 New
edited May 2008 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 41
I ordered Gypsy Picking last night. I was just curious about the waiting time before the book is actually shipped. I couldn't really find the book being sold anywhere else, and I hear that some of these books are on backorder for a while. I was just wondering if Gypsy Picking is one of these books.

Thank you! Also, is there a number I can reach the manager of this site at or an email address?

Thanks.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi....we ship usually same day or next day. so your book will ship tomorrow!

Contact info here: Contact
  • Stamos666Stamos666 New
    okay awesome, thanks a lot. According to my tracking number, it says my book was 'scanned on May 20th' in Washington. However there has been no updates since then on the location of my book as of now. Does this mean there's been a shipping problem or do they just not update the tracking status?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    there's only tracking for express packages...

otherwise you just have to wait...

thanks!

'm
  • Stamos666Stamos666 New
    Awesome, I just received my book this morning and have been going through the "Introductory" sections that explain what the Gypsy Rest-Stroke technique is. However I must admit I am a little confused. You say that to properly do a 'rest stroke' on the D string, you must start at the top of Low E string (aka an inch difference between your pick and the intended string). What do you mean by the 'top' of the Low E string, do you mean in between the Low E string and the A string with the pick pressing against the wire of the Low E string. Or do you mean your pick is ABOVE the low e string, a.k.a above all the strings? The second way seems like it'd be really inefficient...if you could provide a picture or a video to show a rest stroke slowly with the right hand i'd REALLY appreciate it. thank you!
  • Matthias LenzMatthias Lenz Lucklum, GermanyNew
    hi stamos

it´s the second version you mentioned...the pick should definitely FALL on and through the D string from out of the air, i.e. approximately from a position over (not on) the low E string. In the beginning you might even lift it a bit higher to really give it that "gravity effect" (I still do)...and don´t worry, I only started it two weeks ago, and at the very start it feels really weird. But after only two weeks I can tell you : it´s worth it!!! Have Fun :D
  • Stamos666Stamos666 New
    really? but on "Figure 6, page 17" it says, "preparing for a downstroke on the A string" and the pick is in between the Low E and the A string.

And that seems really inefficient, so what do i do when i want to do a rest stroke on the A or Low E string, is my hand gonna be near the top of the guitar flying down into the strings?
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Look carefully at these:

Even better get the whole videos from www.hyperhipmedia.com

To answer your question, Yes you'd prepare a downstroke for the A string by placing your hand above an imaginary seventh string (below the low E) and then let it fall down at an angle to strike the A string. This is a rule of thumb, if you were playing very fast you'd probably do a smaller motion.

Gypsy picking is very efficient particularly in terms of volume and quality of sound produced VS energy employed, and with practice can achieve great speeds, just listen to Jimmy Rosenberg.

Its like if you were cutting firewood and you placed the axe one inch above the log and then let it fall you'd probably only make a dent in the wood but if on the other hand you were to let the axe fall from a greater distance, like holding it above your head, you'd then cut the log effortlessly by using gravity and the weigh of the axe in your favor.
    Imagine your pick is the axe and just let it fall on the string.
  • Stamos666Stamos666 New
    yeah but in the second video when he's showing the exercise slow, and hitting the b string he's not hitting it from up top from the d string..its actually a much smaller motion, maybe slightly above or below the G string. also in the first video, when he's hitting the A string for example, he's not letting the pick fall from the imaginary 'seventh string'. ahaha sorry if im annoying guys, i just really wanna get this style down. also when he's playing fast, he's only going up one string maybe or even less than that.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Yes, keep in mind these are not rules but more like guidelines.

If you're starting with this technique you'll benefit by doing everything by the book. In a couple of years you'll do what you have to automatically to serve whatever purpose you need: smaller motions when playing fast, big motions for volume, downstrokes on strong beats, etc.

I recommend you do it exactly as Horowitz book says for now, and let it evolve naturally.
  • Stamos666Stamos666 New
    Thanks a lot! You've been really helpful. I have another question (haha bear with me). lets take Picking Pattern #5 (Arpeggio Picking, page 23) for example. If i am playing an upstroke on the High E string, am i following through to the G string where Ill make a quick downstroke? or do i upstroke on the high e and then go all the way up to the A string and make the downstroke on the G string and then make the appropriate downstrokes starting an inch up from the other strings as well?

the same question applies to picking pattern #4 (syncopated pattern) on page 22, do i do a downstroke on the Low E string, sweep the A, and then hit the upstroke on the A string and then go the appropriate distance necessary to do a proper rest stroke downstroke for the Low E. so inherently, youre going double the distance when hitting the upstroke on the A.

i have a feeling im being very confusing haha if you need any clarification ill help you out haha. sorry for being irritating, im very anal about doing things properly and regimented and dont want to fall into bad habits early

thanks