DjangoBooks.com

Huge Hurdle: Bad notes.

doObdoOb New
edited May 2008 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 3
Sorry for my first post being a begging one but here goes:

I've got gypsy picking recently, and have been working through the techniques and becoming quite proficient (get it if you haven't by the way). However, despite improving my technique, the notes I'm playing tend to sound awful.

I've been improvising over minor swing and I have a feel for which notes will sound good, but this has just appeared over hours of playing over it again and again, but with other songs I'm playing such as Swing 42 and Daphne I can't seem to figure it out.

I'm guessing my problem is that I'm mostly self taught until recently and have absolutely no musical theory knowledge.

So, any suggestions?

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Welcome to the forum!

Improvisation is a difficult thing... You can start by "Running changes", that means playing the arpeggios of the chord progression, to establish a map of "good" notes to play around with, transcribing phrases or solos by Django and other players will help you see what can be done and give you a good start.

The new Denis Chang's Dvds "Technique and improvisation" will definitely help a lot, they don't require that you know much theory, instead encouraging you to rely on your ears.
    Vols I and II will give you new tricks and licks to play over "Minor swing", Vol III covers ways of playing through rhythm changes progressions like the ones in "Daphne" and "Swing 42".
    Since Denis uses the gypsy picking technique, the videos will also help you put to use what you been studying from the book as well as providing you with the "correct" way the classic stuff is traditionally played, both picking and fingering wise so you don't go up any bad roads, a BIG plus.
    These Dvds are your best bet in my opinion.

Good luck!
    You're always only one fret from the right note. :wink:
  • doObdoOb New
    Thanks for the replys guys, I'll give those DVDs a look.
  • steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    doOb wrote:
    Swing 42 and Daphne I can't seem to figure it out.

try learning the solos by django and other great players over these tunes

TablEdit files:

Swing 42 (Fapy's version)

Swing 42 QHCF 11/09/41

Swing 42 (theme)

Daphne

more here

http://jazz.chansons.free.fr/guitarejazz2.htm

and here (powertabs)

http://www.hotclub.co.uk/ptab/powertab.html
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    For Daphne, transcribe the one from Integrale Django Vol16 CD1. It has a very definite melody and you will learn a lot from it.
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    also,
    I recomend learning a bit of theory, If only to allow yourself to figure out arpeggios and scales to help roadmap tunes on chords you don't, or if someone you play with starts writing!
    Otherwise the advice above is great. Also learn a solo from a minor blues tune as well- its pretty useful.
    good luck!
    Ben