DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazzers in Portland Oregon?

Comments

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator

Just ran across this album from Everythings Jake recently. A rare record from 1979, probably 20 years before HCSF??, and mostly "vocal jazz" but with a couple Django songs. Super listenable. Highly recommended if you collect vinyl and like Gypsy Jazz.

• flavafilflavafil New

Hey Everybody,

I’m thinking about relocating to PDX and wondering if there is still a fairly vibrant gypsy scene there. I’m looking for jam sessions like the one that used to take place at Ruse Brewing.

Thanks!

Phil

• PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    edited November 2023 Posts: 768

Where are you relocating from, as I'd think twice before moving to Portland, as sadly, it's not the pleasant city it was a few years ago.

• flavafilflavafil New

We’re relocating from Marin County in the SF Bay Area. Everything has become horridly expensive here, especially housing. My wife and I lived in PDX from December 2019 to September 2020, so we saw first-hand some of the ugliness (homelessness, riots, far-right douche bags). Is the music scene still as vibrant? Are you a PDX native?

Been in PDX for 20yrs. There's still a vibrant music scene. Let us know when you're in town and we'll try to connect with a jam, cheers Phil

• flavafilflavafil New

Hey Phil,

Thanks for the response. Is PDX just a mess right now? Is it even worth moving up there for the music? The music scene here is just lame. There are only a handful of players, each in four or five bands, all playing the same kind of music: blues and tribute. And there are no gypsy players anywhere! Also, the cost of living up there is significantly lower than here, and the cost of housing is night and day ($1m gets you a fixer gardening shack down here). I grew up in Lake Oswego, so I’m very familiar with the weather and lifestyle up there, but I’m worried about all the problems the city is facing right now. Do you think PDX is on the mend, or is it still on a downtrend?

BTW, great name and correct spelling!

Phil

I'll send you a pm

flavafil
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

Dang, this fly on the wall was waiting to hear about what's going on in Portland too.

adrianRipPhilBuco

Ha, that's what I thinking; dish the dirt man.

Phil
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Hi Phil, here's my responses to some of your questions...will post to the group as sounds like other cats maybe interested 🙂 . Others on here from PDX please feel free to chime in.

>>> Is PDX just a mess right now?

Yes. Since the pandemic and well publicised downtown riots in 2020, decriminalisation of hard drugs/Fentanyl, has resulted in loss of the once vibrant downtown. Many businesses, restaurants have either closed or moved out of downtown. Resulted in huge loss of tourists/visitors to downtown. There's a resulting major homeless crisis with 6,000 homeless, some of whom have been reported to be impacted by the Fentayl addiction and drug baron problem. Major crime increase, difficulty recruiting Police. (Due in part to the defund the police nonsense). Resulting increase in shootings, gang activity, traffic accidents. There's a major graffiti problem which makes some areas of Portland resemble a dump. It's common to see tents in many streets in various neighbourhoods.

>>>Is it even worth moving up there for the music?

On a more positive note, There's still a vibrant music scene. A few different Gypsy Jazz groups, and a fair number of folk playing the music and jamming. The Kung Pao Chickens, still play regularly at Laurelthirst Pub and have been for >20yrs. There's the annual PDX Jazz festival every February and PDX Jazz also hosts domestic and international artists throughout the year. There's a great small jazz club 1905 Bar which sees top NYC artists visiting. ...and of course DFNW is just up the road!

>>>Also, the cost of living up there is significantly lower than here, and the cost of housing is night and day ($1m gets you a fixer gardening shack down here).

Indeed! Prices are stabilising somewhat in Portland, but may increase with more folk looking to move away from the "tent" city areas. There's also been a large number of folk moving away from Portland. PDX is in Multnomah County which has very high taxes. Neighbouring counties such as Clackamass and Washington counties lower taxes. Also, Vancouver, WA is very much an up and coming city just across the river from PDX.

>>>I grew up in Lake Oswego...

I live in SW PDX not far from Lake Oswego and that’s still a very nice area!

>>>Do you think PDX is on the mend, or is it still on a downtrend?

It's going to take some time. The local government has made poor decisions which has contributed to the problems and there's much that needs fixing.

>>>BTW, great name and correct spelling!

Thanks!🙂

Cheers! Phil

RipBuco