DjangoBooks.com

Harmonization of the M 6 chord scale?

arnolloarnollo New
edited June 2008 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 11
Hello Michael,

I started working on the harmonizations you provided on your book (ex 138 and 139) and i asked myself a question :

I understand you one can harmonize the Major scale and end up with the chords shown on exercise 139, but i don't understand how you could harmonize a M6 chord.

I mean harmonization of a major scale consists of taking the 1 3 5 7 notes of the differents modes and build chords from them. But if you follow this logic, you automatically end up with exercise 139.

How can you build the chords of ex 138 using a major scale? do you use 1356 instead of 1357? If that's the answer, YES i asked before i tried to do it myself :)

Thanks,
Arnaud

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Aranaud,

Example 139 is just a chord scale that primarily relies on the M6 harmonization. There's nothing more to it then that.

Have fun!

-Michael
  • arnolloarnollo New
    well, that was exactly the question i wanted to ask, but i had to put longs scentences around it to make sure nobody would understand it :)
    How to do M6 harmonization?
    Take 1356 in the modes of the major scale?
    Thanks
    Arnaud
  • jmcgannjmcgann Boston MA USANew
    One way is to take the A melodic minor scale, which is just a b3 away from an A major scale, and build your chords from it the way you do a "regular" major scale:

ACEG# Im(maj7)
    BDF#A IIm7
    CEG#B bIII+(maj7)
    DF#AC IV7
    EG#BD V7
    F#ACE VIm7b5 (INVERSION OF Am6)
    G#BDF#VIIm7b5( INVERSION OF Bm6)

There are an awful lot of possibilites in their if you arpeggiate those over the Am6 sound- weaving in and out of those tones will give you some great sounds an ideas- and they are all only one note removed from the A major scale.
    www.johnmcgann.com

I've never heard Django play a note without commitment.